Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I suppose its now on you to prove that Putin is someone who supports or promotes fascism. And no your opinion that he's a fascist won't suffice here. The parameters for a leader and their regime to meet the criteria of being fascist is different to that of an individual and as bad as Putins Russia is it doesn't meet those particular criteria.

The problem you have is that Putin isn't some bloke saying stuff in the internet. He's a leader of a country and the ways in which we judge whether he's a fascist or not exceeds him being someone who supports or promotes fascism as per what you've outlined above, his actions as a leader and the nature of his regime are not in line with historical precedents of fascist states.

If that isn't something you understand that's in you and highlights your lack of understanding of the topic. Posting dictionary definitions that lack the correct context isn't helping to mask that fact.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

OP have you ever considered that the far right is expanding in Ireland at a rapid pace but it's due to refugee and international protection? Vast majority of the people from these foreign lands you would probably consider far right.

°°°°°

The Irish far right? Pfft!!!

Here's footage from the National Party AGM...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Have you considered that the far left is expanding in Ireland at an even faster rate?

Have any far right political parties got elected representatives? No.

Has their vote increased markedly in recent local, European or national elections? No.

Which is more likely, that far left or far right parties will be part of the next government? One would have to say far left.

There are arguably more funded anti far right organisations in Ireland than far right organisations.

There will no doubt be the usual pearl clutching and Irish Times editorials when the first far right local politician is elected. However it is unusual for a democracy to have three large parties which differ so little in policy. SF, FF and FG have little fundamental differences between them apart from prioritising one position over another.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Its spreading here online too. Far more violent attacks made by the right originating from online material. https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-europol-online-ireland-far-right-5950777-Dec2022/?utm_source=shortlink

• Advertisement

The article says that throughout the EU 831 items in relation to violent right wing attacks, such as the celebration of these attacks online were detected.

By that criteria there were many multiples of 831 left wing online celebrations of a violent left wing attack on a political party meeting in Fermanagh in Ireland alone.

I imagine these left wing celebrations of violent politically motivated attacks will not be collated in any official figures.

They gave examples of right-wing sources who gave livestreams, manifestos, claims and celebrations of attacks such as the one in Buffalo and Bratislava.

For reference, the attack in Bratislava saw two people killed in a shooting in front of an LGBTQ club – with the gunman in that instance also dying by suicide. In Buffalo, a gunman killed 10 black shoppers and workers at a supermarket and pleaded guilty to murder and hate-motivated terrorism charges after it was live streamed.

There is no comparison with what happened in Fermanagh to these. That is probably why they are not included in any official figures.

Lets not forget when the right attacked the moderators of this forum for banning posts on hate speech and racisim.

https://www.thejournal.ie/doxxing-online-forum-3562312-Aug2017/

No, the operation mentioned above was directed at far right activity specifically. No left wing attacks or online activity were mentioned because they were not the target of the operation.

Political violence of all kind should be condemned. There can be no equivocation when it comes to violence from extremists from either left or right.

However many will celebrate an attack on those whose views they disagree with while condemning attacks on those whose views they agree with. This is hypocrisy.

Either you believe all politically motivated extremist violence is wrong or you don’t.

I will reiterate the point: Had left-wing violence been comparable to that of the described right-wing violence, they would have been included in a similar sting operation, and thus been included in official figures.

Your example of what happened in Fermanagh is not comparable to what happened in Bratislava or Buffalo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Far-right Bolsonaro supporters storming the capitol buildings in Brazil. Bolsonaro himself is visiting Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

The responses under the article are the most interesting part of the link.

I couldn't possibly comment as to whether they have valid points, or not.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

See, you've done 3 things here

1 Misunderstanding that putins behavior now is an indicator that is motivated by original USSR methodology.

2 Misunderstanding my position by claiming I am advocating for communism

3 Misrepresenting the argument by tyring to make it about extremes

Can I cite a communist state? No. And I don't need to. Im not advocating for communism. The OP and all my content since has spoken about problems being faced by people today, and why these problems exist. Far right ideologies and individuals do exist, and are problematic but I have not said that all people I disagree with or dislike on the right are far right so your should have a good think about that before resorting to talking about extremes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The right are presently storming Brazil's Congress, Supreme Court and presidential palace. Please be patient and allow time for their external supporters to dream up mental gymnastics and conspiracies to explain this away.

See my last post.

This thread isn't just about the Far right. Unlikable and problematic and everything else that they are.

But with direct comment on your post. I don't see Gemma ODoherty or Waters, or Herman Kelly commenting on or referring to or quoting new arrivals when they are espousing their extreme ideals so I don't think your premise is correct.

Don't be paying any heed to The Journal comments. There is a special type of ignorance there. They can't teach you that. You're born with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

The moderation of this site is both balanced and reasonable.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

Literally using the same screenplay.

Same characters, same MO, let's hope for same result.

The gangs from the favelas should be let loose on these entitled fascists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Literally using the same screenplay.'

Staged incident?

What is gained by these 'insurrections'? No one is being toppled from power so why do it.

similarly, after the January 6th riots, people on the right tried to blame what happened on undercover ANTIFA members.

I don’t need to point out how insane this sounds.

Ask the insurrectionists. Unfortunately you're dealing with insane people or people in the grips of insanity. Gain doesn't enter into it, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Its a fact that there were loads of undercover FBI agents and informers infiltrating groups like Proud Boys, this came out in court transcripts. What their exact input was at the planning stage isn't clear.

TellMeHow said they were 'literally using the same screenplay' and that appears to be true.

But staged or not, you cannot take control of a country by just having bunch of people overrun government buildings. So why do it?

Two things:

1. Are you suggesting that the FBI had a role in starting the January 6th riots?
    2. “you cannot take control of a country by just having bunch of people overrun government buildings”

isn’t that how uprisings start, including our own?

°°°°°

South American country in extremist politics shocker.

It's crap to see far right loonies running amok but there's plenty of far left basket cases in South America as well, or do you have a mental gymnastics routine devised to ignore them?

Glazers Out!

Money. The drones doing the attacking were hectored on by their right-wingitty griftmeisters, who the drones support. No different than the nyms that stormed the Capitol on Jan 6. It's just about the performance (well, at least it seems to be in Brazil.) And at least in the US the government's passed the Electoral College act to get rid of that loophole.

But with all of this, it's about the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I can't stand either fringe, but I'm not going to make excuses for either side by saying "look at the other side". That's precisely what the fringes do.

"South American country in extremist politics shocker"- The same recently happened in the United States. Which makes all this even more worrying. These are far right attacks on democracy, I suspect we'll see more and more of them.

°°°°°

Recently as in January two years ago? America was in a bad place from the middle of 2020 onwards, BLM riots and the type of rhetoric surrounding practically everything back then reached a crescendo in January 2021, it hasn't continued and people are being charged for the laws they broke.

I'd gladly see both fringes dissappear from the world but this very thread is authored by somebody who sees every ill of the world as the work of some right wing bogey man and never sees anything negative about the left wing.

We have a few posts here talking about the far right in Ireland being a major concern, there's a thread on boards about the "rise of the national party", in reality the Irish far right are a joke and some eejit doxxing a boards mod on another forum is hardly evidence of a groundswell of support for the Irish far right who are mainly represented by the national party who managed 0.2% of the ballots cast in the last general election and who did just as poorly in the last local elections.

The threats aren't coming only from the right and never have been.

This thread is an exercise in the very nonsensical fringe politics any sane person should be wary of.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The insurrection happened because a narcissist loser couldn't accept that he was beaten in a fair and free election.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Advertisement