Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,627 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And meanwhile, this is the message from a prominent Republican Senator.

But they're both equally responsible for the problems society face we are led to believe.

And here's Biden himself setting Republicans up to be able to take credit for delivering something to their constituents.

Although, as we've seen, even if they voted against something that was ultimately passed, that wouldn't stop them from claiming credit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Post edited by newhouse87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You're appropriating Trump's hissy fit about losing the election as an attempt to become a dictator? He's doing a pretty lousy job. Bernie Sanders and AOC attempted to get votes from traditionally Republican areas? Wow, such a tactic has never been attempted in the history of politics.

If you want to use the absence of the word "all" from your thread title as a get out of jail free card for your complete lack of insight (both historical and contemporary) in creating a thread which is ostensibly designed to perpetuate the brand of confrontational political discourse you appear to revel in then you're even more conceited than I thought.

I'm still waiting on the clarifying evidence to support the notion of the wonderful communist utopia that Russia supposedly was according to you prior to WW2.

Putin is a prick, so he must be right wing, despite the fact that he is a product of the largest and most murderous far left regime in history. Facts be damned, you have an opinion.

Glazers Out!

Again, you are reading what you want.

I'm not blaming the left for trump's emergence. I am, however, saying that their actions did contribute to it.

Thankfully most people are intelligent enough to know that there are many factors and reasons that lead to events and aren't so bloody blinkered that they take the easy route and blame the people they disagree with.

• Advertisement

I dunno. Ask your democrats and your media why they did everything they could to ensure he wasn't the presidential nominee.

Lol. Let's leave it there then.

You think it's nonsense to believe that the two sides, the far left and the far right, who feed off each other, are to blame for what's going on in the world right now.

You want to blame one side, the far right. That's funny, that's what the far right think about the far left too.

You are incapable of critical thinking and want to be able to blame the bogeyman instead of realising that life is much more complicated than that.

You laugh all you want though. The evil far right is all around you. You wrap yourself in your left-wing blanket of security and act self righteous and comfort yourself in your faux superiority.

Id laugh along too if it wasn't so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Thankfully most people are intelligent enough to know that there are many factors and reasons that lead to events and aren't so bloody blinkered that they take the easy route and blame the people they disagree with.

I dunno. Ask your democrats and your media why they did everything they could to ensure he wasn't the presidential nominee

Lol. Let's leave it there then

You laugh all you want though. The evil far right is all around you. You wrap yourself in your left-wing blanket of security and act self righteous and comfort yourself in your faux superiority.

Do you even read your own posts dunne?

You post don't just blame one side

Followed by look at what the dems done.

Followed by lets leave it there.

Followed by a rant.

Oh and don't forget the usual ad hominems.

You are incapable of critical thinking and want to be able to blame the bogeyman instead of realising that life is much more complicated than that.

Is telling someone they are incapabale of critical thinking civil discussion?

I do read my own posts.

Once again Robbie, you either spectacularly missed the point, were unable to grasp what was being said, or skipped entirely over the context in order to have a pop.

I am pointing out that the left wing politicians, media and supporters ALSO do bad things and contribute to the bad stuff in society, something which the OP is ignoring when it comes to his lengthy opening post.

I am no fan of the far right, but to ignore the fact that the far left have played a significant part in creating the state of the world is folly at best and **** idiotic at worst.

It's not as one sided as some people like to think.

But once again we have you barrelling onto a thread, without once even giving your opinion about the topic being discussed. A common theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Once again Robbie, you either spectacularly missed the point, were unable to grasp what was being said, or skipped entirely over the context in order to have a pop.

But once again we have you barrelling onto a thread, without once even giving your opinion about the topic being discussed. A common theme.

These are attempts at insults not attempts to discuss

• Advertisement

No. What you've quoted are cherry picked excerpts from my post which accurately describe your behaviour.

If you look at your posting history, you will see it is not entirely uncommon for you to join a thread and fail to even mention or discuss the topic, but instead just argue with certain posters or people who hold certain opinions.

The rest of my post, which you omitted, was a direct response to your post and explained my position regarding the topic in hand. It needed to be explained (to you at least) as, judging by your previous post, you spectacularly misunderstood what was being said.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobbieTheRobber and the dunne

Drop it or you will be threadbanned

I've referenced Covid, Brexit, the war in Ukraine and the climate issue here and how right views have, if not outright caused those issues, exacerbated them massively and continue to do so and no one here has challenged that view aside from telling me it's all in my head.

You think I want to blame a bogeyman? I wish the world wasn't putting all its efforts in to cleaning up the sh*t people you give a pass to have had massive input in creating while serious issues like the climate falls further and further down the agenda. But as long as yourself and others are in the trenches defending these people and 'both sidesing' it, everyone has to watch things get progressively worse. You didn't give much credence to the both sides argument when it came to the BLM discussion or any of the numerous other 'progressive bashing' threads and yet here you are banging that drum.

I gave a litany of examples of how the actions of key individuals are intertwined with these events in sinister if not outright fraudulent ways and various collaboration between these and more individuals are relevant also and have been told nothing I listed there was incorrect. So spare me the self-righteous judgement on my critical thinking and challenge these points or do indeed leave it there.

notion of the wonderful communist utopia that Russia supposedly was according to you prior to WW2.

These are your words, not mine. I'm merely pointing out that there is nothing about Putins actions or words that are anything but evidence of a right wing ideology. If you want to talk about the communist history of Russia, go start a thread on it, but none of the commentators on Putin and Russia have suggested that he yearns for a communist country once again. They all say he yearns for the 'power' and 'notoriety' of the USSR but I have never seen a single speech or comment attributed to him that suggests he is any way aligned with communism.

It is a view that not even Alex Jones or any of the other Republican mouthpieces try to claim. FFS, they're all praising him, and you think his ideology is bourn out of communism? You might find the view at a Mike Lindell rally, but outside of that, I think you're on your own here.

Meanwhile, this is what Russian commentators are talking about.

And here's how one right wing commentator views what is happening in Ukraine.

(Leaving aside that Johnsons Chancellor went on TV and denied that he had said what everyone saw him on TV saying and what O'Neil is here defending)

And in the US, the convicted felon who Trump pardoned, Roger Stone has also commented on what is going on in Ukraine,

Stone rattled off a winning BINGO card’s worth of Kremlin-friendly talking points and conspiracies. He denounced Zelensky as undemocratic for having “shut down three television stations that were critical of the government.” (That decision rightfully inspires debate, but context here is also important. Stone failed to mention that those stations had broadcast Russian propaganda, and were run by mogul Viktor Medvedchuk, who is so tight with the Kremlin that Putin is literally his daughter’s godfather. Mevedchuk was hit with U.S. sanctions in 2014, described as Putin’s “long-time proxy and close personal friend.”) Stone then rehearsed the MAGA canard that concern over Ukrainian borders is misplaced as long as America’s are overrun by “millions of illegals … bringing disease.” 

Which was of course received favourably by Russian propaganda outlets.

So yeah, right wing ideologies are fuelling and exacerbating this particular crisis. That's indisputable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Respectfully TMH, I think you’re spending far too much time on the internet 😂

Of course I’m joking with you, but honestly you’ve just cobbled together bits from here, there and everywhere and as much as said “that’s it now, that’s the far right for you!”

It’s no different to the likes of GB news (is that even still going?) doing the same thing, only from the opposite perspective.

In reality it appears to be nothing more than a tiny number of people winding each other up over nothing important, and it really doesn’t seem like most people give a shyte one way or the other really.

Must say, that's kind of a bizarre post to come immediately after a post in which Russians are strongly advocating for war throughout Europe. I'd say anyone dealing with what is going on in Ukraine, the impact of Brexit, covid etc probably kinda does give a ****.

I'm posting points relevant to people active in the conversation on these topics, who come from a particular political mindset. No one has actually said that these are untrue, just instead going with the 'yeah well the left as well'.

As the title indicates, this thread is pointing out the fallacy in the scaremongering and deflection that has been going on for years, including frequently on here, about progressive topics while in reality these real impactful events have come to pass. That's really all it's doing, it's nothing dramatic.

And, as I've already stated, I don't think this is an accident. People have x amount of focus/energy/attention/motivation when it comes to current affairs, some stakeholders in this area worked out that if they get most of the people to burn all that energy on discussing pro-nouns or whether or not a young swedish girls message was worth listening to then there'll be less analysis of what they are actually trying to initiate. There's a reason Farage chose to announce a new movement to counter any action to help the climate as things were kicking off in Ukraine and his position wrt Russia was getting media attention.

Here's another example.

No context, no analysis or commentary. Just a single gif linking the right-wing strawman, CRT, with the lady being considered for the Supreme Court.

What do you think is going on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Parallel to what?

This is the official Twitter account of the Republican National Committee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I too would like to point out that people who I don't identify with are responsible for all the troubles in the world. Thank you.

Didn't you already do that on the lib-bashing series of threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The problem for you here is that you made a statement about the "ideals of communism" not being reflected by the USSR post ww2.

You can grandstand all you like but you're the one who brought it up.

You see Putins actions as right wing, but you're ignoring the fact that left wing extremists crave the same things as right wing extremists,the main thing being power at any cost.

You want everyone to agree with your assessment of the situation but your assessment is flawed and your knowledge is pitiful.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I don't bash liberals, I agree with them on most things its the far left and right who do things that are easily criticised, and then engage in identity politics which I abhor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The Left/Far Left are certainly responsible for this never ending 'platforming' of minorities in the West and this country.

*An RTE promo for a new show I saw the other day, depicted a voice over saying "I want to see more people of colour on Television".

MORE?

This kind of stuff does nothing good. It's just alienates people.

I can't bear it myself, when I see LGBT intentionally 'platformed' 24/7. Drives me up the wall. Give it a rest, Ireland isn't Uganda.

*edit: this: Our Land - RTÉ Player (rte.ie)

Post edited by AllForIt on

Leaving aside the subjective take on 'MORE?' and LGBT being platformed 24/7, (really? 24/7?)

Which do you think has more negative impact on Irish society, whatever this is your complaining about, or the likes of Brexit, Russians activities and the whole climate situation thing?

Because that is the point of this thread, the people who get frustrated loudly and frequently about left wing activist topics, are unconcerned about those other issues.

Sure.

Everyone abhors identity politics, even the lad who thanked your post and then immediately posted about 'the left' are up to to ruin his life.

And as already pointed out, the list of posters who expressed similar frustrations on this thread, and who have spent much of their time on this platform taking part in it is pretty long.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

I think many no longer see things in terms of the left right paradigms, doesn’t seem to matter a Damn who you vote for, although I’ll say Martin is a decent man

This is from the UK Office for Budget Responsibility

That is my point about the impact of the respective issues that people on the right have pushed for, whereas on the left, apparently its concern about who is on television. Which is more impactful?

• Advertisement

I've already posted about the ties between Russian individuals and those in the UK who pushed hard for Brexit and also about the influence that Russia has had on various societies, particularly over the last 10 years. This is what the former Russian ambassador to the UK is reputed to have said

Alexander Yakovenko’s words became public through ‘Shadow State: Murder, Mayhem, and Russia's Remaking of the West’, a book written by journalist Luke Harding. Published in 2020, Shadow State suggests the Brexit vote was backed by the Kremlin, with an aim to weaken Britain.

Specifically, the book indicated that Russia may have funded the campaign for Brexit. According to Mr Harding’s book, speaking to a fellow diplomat, Mr Yakovenko said: “We have crushed the British to the ground.

“They are on their knees, and they will not rise for a very long time.”

And this is what the former Defnece Attache for the UK embassy in Moscow had to say about the communication to the British government about Russian activities and the direction they were going in.

Now, I'm not saying that the only reason Brexit happened is because Russia were interested in it happening, or that that is the reason Russia has attacked the Ukraine. But what I am saying is that these are real actions that have massively impacted a huge number of people, and will continue to do for a long time. And they are solely in the ownership of ideologically right aligned people and organisations.

Advertisement