Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vision

Options
  • 14-03-2022 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all...

Anyone aware with recruitment vision tests what they are like...i know my unaided needs to be 6/36 (mine does not meet the standard at 6/48) does unaided mean without glasses but you can have contact lenses?

Literally just priced laser at £3500...😭

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 36 OldBenTheHermit

No unaided means with no correction at all. Is that your unaided vision with both eyes? Or just one eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 new2022scs

Both are 6/48 😭

Yeah unfortunately if with your glasses off and no contacts in you’re worse than 6/36, then you’ll fail the eyesight test. It’s to do with in the scenario of you getting into an altercation and your glasses get knocked off or lenses dislodged, that you need to still be able to see to a certain standard. Unfortunately laser would be your only option if your vision is worse than 6/36. Have you enquired about payment plans etc if the money is the barrier?

Yea, i could afford it to be honest over a monthly payment, just a bit disheartening. The prison service told me i would be accepted with contacts, thats why i wasnt so sure. Assessment centre is friday, hopefully it goes well & i can then make a firm decision on the laser. Thanks so very much for your advice

No worries, hope it all goes well for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Byc_moze

I feel your pain. I was in the same position but I went for a laser before my medical. I didn't want to be in a position where I fail because of my eyes. But to be honest, I recommended laser to everyone. Is life changing. And I don't regret it at all. I have it on finance.

Im going to see about it next friday, got a price from one company & doing the same with another to compare. Just think its a good shout. Did u pass in the end?

Yes, I did. I am appointable, waiting for a phone call to start GV 🙈

I didn't compare any prices, I just went to one with the best reviews 🤷‍♀️ I am sure I can find it cheaper 😬

Good luck 🤞

As an optician (hate it hence the career change) I’d strongly recommend not going for the cheapest option. There’s one chain in particular that I’ve seen a lot of patients with side effects as a result of going there. That’s not saying everyone will suffer them but it’s definitely more frequent from the cheaper places

Oh my goodness, thanks for the advice, ive checked reviews on both places & all seems ok? Im definitely better getting it done, ive started playing football & its hard to play being a bit blind. What a change of career for you?

To be honest I'm not sure how my AC wentso not counting my chickens just yet.

• Advertisement

Go to cheaper one then 🤷‍♀️

I am doing self defence and running and it's really great without glasses now. So it's worth the money.

I hope you will be grand with AC 🤞

Advertisement