Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marriage certificate

• 14-03-2022 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question to settle a debate

Is a marriage certificate public record before the actually wedding?

Basically is your intention to mareiage certificate public record before you actually sign it with a witness and are officially married

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

No.

There is no "certificate" of any description before you are married to be added to any public record.

What you get before marriage is the marriage registration form, only once that is completed and registered is the marriage recorded as part of the public record and a certificate of marriage issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Thanks for the quick reply

I wonder can that application form past between government bodies, For example would social welfare know once you have applied for for intent to marry or is it only live once it is singed and it become and actually certification of marriage ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

You might be referring to the requirement to provide notice of intention to marry to the civil registration service.

There is no certificate arising and the fact that you have provided notice wouldn’t be a matter of public record.

I very much doubt that this information would be routinely shared with other government departments given its relative insignificance, however it could be discoverable for example in the event that information contained within such a notification was of evidential value in a social welfare fraud case for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I thought as much ,

No real relevance just had a conversation with somebody who wondered if you needed to do anything if decided not to get married after already giving na intention to marry ,I was the opinion of no it would just run out you wouldn't hear form it again ,

He thought you needed to inform somebody because the information may have been shared with other departs ,i was of the opinion that would only happen when you actually marry ,

Advertisement