Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I stick with my diesel or let go

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Biggest savings on fuel, yes.

Any EV which can easily do the 30,000km/year that the OP does, will also have significant depreciation, on paper at the very least. Even if that's not realises in 3 years, the OP would still need to cover the expected depreciation in the meantime on a PCP or loan.

Now that's not to say I don't partially agree with your point - my brother spent an extra 13k on a new EV over a second hand ICE, expects to make savings in about 3.5 years, and that's at just 200km/week around town (where ICE is not efficient). But that was comparing a €20k ICE which has a lot of value to use, a 141 Fluence does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

If you're doing high mileage you need range, something EVs are not good at (among the many other things they are inferior to ICE to, but no matter).

And spending €60k to save €3k a year means a 20 year payback period.... how many people can afford €60k on a car, especially when prices are shooting up left right and centre? People have less disposable income, meaning they can't save and trade up to a newer or cheaper to run car even if they wanted to. Speaking of prices, sure only today did Electric Ireland announce that gas and electricity are going up by 25%. Meanwhile oil prices have more or less stabilised (though of course they are still very high compared to the start of the year).

Electric motoring is simply not going to be cheap forever more.... once enough people buy the damn things they'll just tax them more and get rid of the perks like the cheaper tolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Well the fluence just developed ticking/tapping sound, it's all downhill from here, really disappointed 😞. How much time left until it gets worst, I know for sure that once engine issue is involve it's more spending, the air conditioning doesn't even work planning on getting it fixed this year for summer then this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Long drives once a month should make up for short trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

A lot of people changing cars because of fuel cost now brother sold his 06 IS 250 and bought an 06 civic 1.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭JCN12

Yep, the major drawback of diesel is the extra maintenance involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Buy the diesel. I ended up buying the X5 which is doing all shorts trips and once a month we do for a long spin. We couldn't get the car we wanted without a diesel

Don't expect good ltr/100km

Advertisement