Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers Review-Undeclared Payments to bank Account

• 15-03-2022 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I have an upcoming review whereby I have to disclose my bank statement for my jobseekers payments ...there are about 5 undeclared payments I received into my bank account over the past 6 months...nothing major,about 30-50 euro each time but I have not declared these payments.I am currently studying and I started working with a business who could not offer me a contract but offered me assignments to complete on a freelance basis and paid me for that.

Am I best to come clean and pay the money back or will they take a harsher line and freeze my payment?I dont have the option of denying I have a bank account I suppose....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Let them look at your bank account when they ask about extra payments explain what they are, these payment will properly be deducted from next jobseekers payments, doubt your payments will be frozen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Ok, this is Honestlyl not good , there's 5 payments you'll need to explain and whilst relatively small , you should have declared any income. I'm assuming you've been asked to submit bank statements 🤔

It's likely you'll will be called in to explain these payments or requested to explain in writing. There's really no other option but to explain these we're one off assignments. I'm not clear when you say you are studying, are you actually on a physical course or doing on line learning or study 🤔 I only mention this because it's not clear what jobseekers payment you are on and some permit an authorised course, some don't, due to the "must be looking for work rule"

As to what will happen on the review, it's impossible for anyone to predict, my only hope is if you can explain these were one of assignments with a view to obtaining a position with the company, the Department may accept it as a possible attempt at seeking employment. It is however likely they'll assess you as being over paid on the dates applicable and seek repayment. This can be done by way of a reduction in your weekly payment.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

From what i understand, you are allowed up to twenty thousand euros in savings in a bank account while on social welfare. I make lodgments into my account now and again, from social welfare money i've saved. The fact the payments into your account, are a result of you being in employment could complicate things. However hopefully the welfare inspector, will take an understanding view of the situation, and that everything works out alright for you.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Advertisement