Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED causing non LED flicker-dimmer?

Options
  • 16-03-2022 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

So after much research just double checking something here please:

All switches and circuits from 1996.

Kitchen: 2 light fittings, 6 GU10 and 4 GU10 on 2 separate non dimmer switches

Living room: 2 fittings on 1 dimmer, each 2 G9 and another fitting, separate dimmer, 5 G9.

Want change kitchen at least to LED bulbs, and have tried.

Living and kitchen same circuit. So replacing kitchen incandescent with LED causes Living bulbs to flicker (not kitchen LED) Replacing Living bulbs with LED doesn't help.

Herself likes existing fittings, and I'm capable of changing a switch, provided wiring like for like.

So from research simply replacing the 2 dimmer switches in Living room with more modern LED compatible dimmer switches should solve problem?

Am I right, or do I need to do something extra.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

I gave up on LED dimmers. Had nothing but issues with them blowing the bulbs. You have to 'match' the LED bulb to the dimmer switch - but even doing that I had nothing but issues.

I would recommend removing the dimmers altogether and putting in standard on / off switches and using smart LED bulbs instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭robbie000

Had the same issue only recently, was doing my nut in. Tried swapping bulbs initially.

swapped out the dimmer switch on the wall fixed the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There are dimmers, and then there are dimmers. The same can be said for LED bulbs.

LED bulbs are best placed on LED dimmers. LED bulbs will sometimes work fine on non-LED dimmers, but that's often down to the quality of the bulb and the method used to convert the AC signal into a linear DC supply.

Read about it here if you wish:

If you're seeing flicker on another circuit, you may have installed bulbs which are creating harmonics (reflected waves) on the circuit and this causes the dimmer in the other room to effectively misfire (think of ectopic heartbeats) and you'll see dimming and brightening on the attached LED lamps. This will be significantly more pronounced on LED lamps than on incandescent bulbs as LED's have a very rapid reaction time, while incandescent bulbs have a slow decay in terms of light-loss.

As per Robbie00's guidance, look at the dimmer first and see if you can resolve it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭scooby77

Great info and advice ..that article very useful 10-10

Greatly appreciated folks

Advertisement