Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Wired Doorbell compatibility

Options
  • 19-03-2022 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey all! Currently trying to install a Ring Wired Video Doorbell on my house but I’m wondering if it’s compatible or not. I’ve attached images of the chime and what I assume is the transformer. If I get an electrician to do this job how much would it cost?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 34 oppy30

As far as I can see, the Wired does not support an existing chime, so you'll need to open your chime and bypass it as described at https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360054984332-Installing-Ring-Video-Doorbell-Wired (step 5).

The transformer should be fine. The existing doorbell/chime is probably going to be connected to the 8V output, the Wired should work with that according to specs, so you should be able to just wire the Ring in place of the existing button after bypassing the chime.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The transformer needs to be set to 12V+ (Ring used to be 24V but I think they work down to 12V now), it can be connected with a chime that is able to run at 12V+ as well (honeywell do them), the existing chime may run, but would be getting run out of spec and may not be sage (ask a reci if in doubt).

Advertisement