Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this the end of the small farmer

2»

Comments

The neighbours thing is very real. You are correct it's a generational thing more than anything, but look at the age profile of farmers.

What about if stock break out?

I think you have to know your neighbours if farming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I would only know my neighbours on one side. Some other neighbours we have a bounds with, would only have ever spoken to a few times ever…

Like JohnChadwick - don’t go to mass, don’t play GAA, so I just don’t meet them…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

Nope.....that's the great irony of a lot of the "advice" given to date.

I’d be similar. But I would try and talk to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Youd hardly have the same fencing would you? Im thinking of the setup here at the moment and if i was to go farming here in the future id definitly be reducing stock numbers but in doing so id be freeing up land needed for stock as well as giving up renting ground the only reason id have a higher cost of fencing here is because its more or less non existent here at the minute. Will do a more detailed post on what route id go down here if me the prodigal son falls in for it.

Better living everyone

Are you, me and JohnChadwick neighbours I wonder? 🙂

Ha. I’d enjoy farming and that side of things with neighbours but wouldn’t be over playing cards with them every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Yea was initially making the point in relation to a comment above about de-stocking, and the notion that you might be anxious about 'what will the neighbours think about that'. Well I doubt the neighbours here have much of an insight into my farming operation for a start. And they hardly come up looking over the ditch to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Do farmers as a group do everything by consensus as nearly all i know think the same about almost everything... oddly enough a few of the most respected and best farmer i know do not conform to this at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Yeah but sure most bills will come down in response to destocking. You'll not be using as much diesel, you might get away with selling of a machine, less fodder, less contractors, less everything. Even on fencing, water and farm roads, if you destock back to the absolute minimum, firstly there will be less wear and tear on everything and secondly, you might even be able to decommission some of it, taking it out of the maintenance burden altogther.

You might even get away with doing away with fertiliser altogether if you spread your remaining stock out over a wider acreage.

My brother in law is a part time grant farmer. He has a few beef cattle. One crap tractor that I am not even sure if it works. An old shed isn't very pretty, but it is just enough to claim payments. He gets a neighbour to come in a few times a week to do work. in return, that neighbour has the grass of some of my brother in laws fields that would otherwise lie idle.

In fairness, the quality of the cattle going out probably leaves a lot to be desired and they under achieve in time, weight and price but all compensated for by the fact that inputs are are all on the floor too.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Your last line is the big one, if you don’t feed the ground it’ll not feed the cow, who’ll not feed you.

Less cattle could mean 1/2 a tank of slurry vs 3/4, the agitation cost would be the same with 3-4 less load to be spread there might not be much saving.

Cutting a field for fodder will be the same price if 1 bale/acre vs 8 bales/acre crop, the baling and wrapping would be less, but for smaller crop the contractor would insist on a raker to minimize their time which would erode any savings

Costs have been increasing year on year for the last 40 years, this year there is a massive increase, farmers have been doing all we can to reduce our cost to a minimum and trying to maximise our output but the biggest issue is the prices we’re receiving is on par with that of 40 years ago when the weekly wage was £150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

As far as I know he doesn't cut silage, I've never seen him cutting and baling anyway. Once grazing is finished he sells a few to thin down the numbers, puts the remainder in the shed and buys in bales of silage, probably from the neighbour. Buys a few calves then in the spring.

All I can see from around the place is that if spending a euro can be avoided, it will be avoided. But he says it is worth his while to keep it up because it gets him his payment, which is all he is interested in.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Every farm is a business, some are large business concerns and some are small. All smaller businesses tend to get thrown about on the waves of change, the trick I think as the poster above says, is to be adaptable and flexible. It's easier to change direction as a small business. Keep costs down, live within your means, no large debts - and you'll survive and thrive again when circumstances allow. Think like a weed!! :)

I probably operate a similar minimum input system to your relation. And whilst running a minimal operation has less exposure, you’ll still be caught…

Bales of silage will go up for next winter, ration, straw probably the same. But you’re right - these are dependant on usage, so you have scope to change here…

For me, the items which have gone up and aren’t usage dependant are insurance, fencing (still need to fence whether field has 1 animal or 20)

My contractor charges are low, but hedgecutting is not usage dependant, and will be dearer this year…

Meanwhile - the payments stays the same…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Your comments are correct but your timeline is somewhat out. The real decline in rural pub numbers only happened from 2018 onwards. When it became a disqualifying offence to drive home after two or three pints they were doomed. This should be thrown at every rural TD that voted in favour of Shane Ross’s legislation .

Advertisement