Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride on cutting out

Options
  • 22-03-2022 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

My ride on mower is cutting out when I try to empty the grass from the rear bag/box. I pull the lever and raise the box, grass gets dumped out but mower engine cuts out.

I guess there is a sensor in there somewhere that is causing this. But why is it only happening now??

Its a Castelgarden something or other with a Briggs and Stratton engine. It's about 10yrs old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Are you disengaging the blades before you raise the box to empty it, if you don't the engine cuts out, it's a safety feature. Just like when you don't engage the brake and get off the seat the engine cuts out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Thanks for the reply.

I am disengaging blades. I'm even taking it out of gear (which I wouldn't have done last season) to see if that would help.

I guess there must be some other sensor that is causing the issue. I know that I can't start the mower if the grass box isn't on. But, once the engine is running, the raising & lowering of the grass box shouldn't have any effect on the engine.

Some other things that I've now noticed:

After raising box, engine stops. Then when trying to restart engine, I'm having difficulty. Through a combination of raising/lowering cutting deck, engaging gears and going back into neutral & engaging/disengaging blades (all with no engine running), the engine will then fire up again.

I can't say which specific action causes the engine to respond as it seems to change each time! I'm stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Sounds like a visit to a service engineer is required 😉

Is it electronically or manually engaged blades?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Advertisement
Advertisement