Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox S - external HDD only recognized as Media

• 22-03-2022 7:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, on behalf of a friends son, external HDD only recognized as media drive - is he missing something obvious? Is pre-formatting as NTFS/FAT32 possibly an issue?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Thanks SM, the unit is a Series S. Online searches widely suggest that storage is possible (resulting however in user having to move games from external to internal storage for gameplay) but you are saying that it's simply not a runner with Series S?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I think it needs to be formatted by the xbox itself.

It should be possible. I have both a game SSD and media HDD connected to my Series X

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

External drives have to be at least 256GB, and USB3. If it meets those specs, then you can format it as Sugarman says. note that formatting it will wipe everything on it, so if you've got anything there that you want to keep, move it off first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Daveq

CatInABox and sugarman are right. I have a USB3 512gb SSD plugged into the back of my Series S and I let the Xbox format it.

You can play games from it, BUT optimised for Series S/X games won't play from it (but you can store them on it and move back across) and quick resume doesn't work from it either.

Advertisement