Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jap Megadrive

Options
  • 22-03-2022 10:24am

Moved back to my parents house and found my Megadrive. 😢Time to get to work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yikes best of luck, it will live again

Thanks! My first bit of "research" showed that it was fitted with an RF modulator (now rusted). Common at the time, not standard. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I thought the modulator was in an odd place :D Megadrive is a fairly solid console, would take a lot to rune it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Wow, my nextdoor neighbour had a Jap Megadrive, I used to swap my SNES with her from time to time, this brings back memories for me...

I think I realise the older I get that when it comes to gaming sometimes I realise my perception of what year thing's were going on is completely arseways, I was trying to remember what year that was and it would have been around the time I got a SNES, which was when the SF2 Pal pack came out, was that Xmas 92?

God, I'm old 😬

• Advertisement

Strange that random Irish homes had a Japanese one as opposed to a Pal one back then, I remember the Sonic cartridge artwork she had was way different than my friends Pal copy...

And Streets of Rage was Bare Knuckle iirc

I think she had a fella at the time who studied in Japan for a while and he brought it back to Ireland

I actually found an old SMS2 also in the attic a few weeks back, from pre even that time if memory serves...

We had an SMS2 when everyone else had a MD. I love the shiny dust cover. 😄

We got our MD from the video shop that rented them out. The chap at the time didn't have any more consoles but he went into the back and came out with a Jap model. He said I would need a converter to play most games. We only really played Sonic and a few others. A couple of times we ran into the black screen of death, or maybe it was a red screen. 😥

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can imagine a parent somewhere being scalped by the lads in Mr Calculator for a Japanese MD, but they do look lovely.

I recall having the MD myself, and calling to a mates house where another acquaintance had brought their SNES.

I wasted a lot of time trying to convince the inconvincible that Road Rash II on my console was better than Super Mario Kart...

I still think it was better!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The girls next door to me had a US NTSC SNES model. Was quite a shock the morning of xmas 1991 all excited to tell them I got a C64 for XMAS to call over and see them playing F-Zero and realising you'd been sold a lemon. They had relatives in Canada and their dad had been over there and brought back the US SNES.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Mr Calculator was where I picked mine up. Tried to get one around Grafton St at Christmas 1991 but none in stock anywhere. Went back in in January (back when most shops didn't open again til New Years' had come and gone!) and the 'lovely' man in Mr Calculator was the only shop in town with any. £10 more than other shops.

I don't think it was Japanese though, something called 'Asian PAL' instead. Same artwork/packaging/design as Jap but 50hz and played PAL carts with no issue.

• Advertisement

Mr Calculator was where my mother got me the last SNES on the planet that Xmas week, I think it was 92...

I was only a year or two over Santy age and the joy of finding one in that shop around the 20th December, to this day no console has had me as excited, weirdly enough the PS5 had me nearly that excited....

Advertisement