Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 Application (first time) - help

Options
  • 22-03-2022 11:10am

I've never personally owned a firearm. When I was a teenager (now in 40s) I would have used my father's firearms.

I now want to get a .22 in my own name. I've looked at the FCA1 and have questions.

1. What precautions storage would I need for a .22 rifle (it gives specifics on shotguns). I'll be using it for target practice (primarily).
    2. To pass Section 2.5 - Proof of Competence I need to take a course (online or in person) with someone like NARGC - is that sufficient?
    3. Section 1 - Application type. Can I go straight to the Firearm certificate or do I need a Training Firearm certificate (I don't know what a Training Firearm Certificate is?)
    4. A long time friend* of mine (would be big into hunting) - If I wanted to go hunting with him - do I need to do something at time of application that would facilitate this possibility?
    5. Section 3 - Firearm Details - I wont be buying (probably couldn't) a new firearm without a licence, so wont have a serial number. What do I put in there?
    6. Would a first time application for semi auto be frowned upon (medical/background check should be 100% fine)
    7. I will want sights
    8. Source of Firearm, again - is this required for first time application?
    9. If memory serves - .22 ammo comes in 100s - that's what I will be applying for.
    10. Section 4.2 - Do I tick both boxes (Target shooting at Authorised Range) AND other - possible hunting (friend will have permission to shoot on farm land).
    11. I will source a local shooting range

* Not sure how familiar he would be with a newb application.

I will have further questions on the types of .22 (sights) in time. Thanks.

Comments

Ah, a training fire arm cert if only for someone under 16 - But, still not sure of the difference between the other first three choices.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome to the forum.

1) What precautions storage would I need for a .22 rifle (it gives specifics on shotguns). I'll be using it for target practice (primarily)

A gun safe at a minimum. Its level two, single unrestricted firearm other than a shotgun.

2) To pass Section 2.5 - Proof of Competence I need to take a course (online or in person) with someone like NARGC - is that sufficient?

A competency course is one of four ways, possibly the easiest, to gain "competence". Check around though as some courses are not comprehensive and only cover certain types of guns while others don't involve actual hands on usage/familiarisation with firearms. In other words they're "rubber stamp" courses.

3) Section 1 - Application type. Can I go straight to the Firearm certificate or do I need a Training Firearm certificate (I don't know what a Training Firearm Certificate is?)

A training license is for someone that wishes to license an already/currently licensed firearm (licensed by someone over 18) and remain under their supervision/tutelage while learning the safe and competent handling of said firearms. It has strict conditions such as you can never use the firearm on your own (without the fully licensed person with you), you cannot store the firearm in your home (regardless of security measures in place), etc. It is open to all ages but primarily aimed at youngsters between 14 and 16 that cannot license a firearm themselves.

A firearms certicate is a full license and has none of the above restirctions.

4) A long time friend* of mine (would be big into hunting) - If I wanted to go hunting with him - do I need to do something at time of application that would facilitate this possibility?

Tick hunting and any other activity you wish to participate in (in section 4.2) when aplying and supply gun club membership (as opposed to target range membership) and/or individual land permission you have.

5) Section 3 - Firearm Details - I wont be buying (probably couldn't) a new firearm without a licence, so wont have a serial number. What do I put in there?

You need the serial number of the firearm you are intending to buy. There is no way to apply for a license without one. New or second hand the process is the same. See here for a run down of how to apply.

6) Would a first time application for semi auto be frowned upon (medical/background check should be 100% fine)

No. If its what you want for the discipline/type of shooting you intend to go for, then its what you apply for.

7) I will want sights

Not in the form of a question, but also not an issue. Sights (barring NV/Thermals) are unregulated. So a rifle scope is no different to a telescope in that it is classed as glass or optics. No need for authorisation or a license.

8) Source of Firearm, again - is this required for first time application?

Yes. Its mandatory and should not be an issue. If buying from a gun dealer give the RFDs (registered firearm dealer) PULSe number or from a private source give their firearm certificate number.

9) If memory serves - .22 ammo comes in 100s - that's what I will be applying for.

It can come in 50s, 100s, 500s, etc. You apply for the amount you think you will need not so much what the individual "packs" are manufactured in, So for taget shooting I'd go with between 500 to 1,000. For hunting you can ask the same or more, but might be a little harder to explain why a large quantity is required.

10) Section 4.2 - Do I tick both boxes (Target shooting at Authorised Range) AND other - possible hunting (friend will have permission to shoot on farm land).

Yes. Long debate on this, which does not need to be continued here, but if you wish to be fully covered then I'd suggest ticking all boxes as appropriate. So if you are or intend to join a range tick target shooting then tick hunting and/or Other/vermin to be fully covered.

11) I will source a local shooting range

Again not in the form of a question, but if you mean is this necessary then yes, its mandatory that any application for a firearm for target shooting that the applicant be a member of an authorised range. You will need to join a range prior to applying as you must give membership number and range PULSE id number.

Post edited by Cass on
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thank you Cass.

Sorry, I should have been specific. I've no intention to use a pistol. The .22 would be a rifle.

Does the safe need to be bolted - I'll look up gun safes now. But, it looks like I need to do the following to progress.

1. Pick out my desired .22 rifle (I'm assuming target ranges/clubs exist for .22 rifles) or is the only reason for a .22 rifle hunting?
    2. Book a competency course
    3. Arrange discussion with a seller - Get a serial number (before buying?) or do I actually buy it to get a serial number and then possibly be left without a useable gun if refused (can't imagine I would be, but still - a bit strange) / buy a safe at the same time
    4. Complete FCA1

I've read the charter and as I (hope) to use target ranges - I've posted my newb question here. Hope that's okay.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No, my bad. For some reason I read pistol when its not mentioned. Actually rifle is explicitly mentioned so apologies.. I've edited my reply above to reflect that fact.

Does the safe need to be bolted - I'll look up gun safes now. But, it looks like I need to do the following to progress.

Yes. As per part 2 of SI307/2009 the safe must be secured to a solid structure. This usually means bolting it to a wall/floor, etc.

Pick out my desired .22 rifle (I'm assuming target ranges/clubs exist for .22 rifles) or is the only reason for a .22 rifle hunting?

Yes. 22 target shooting is the bread and butter of ranges so pretty much all ranges will accommodate this shooting.

Book a competency course

Yup. Again I'd would advise going to a range or similar for a quality course. You don't want to be doing one with someone in his kitchen. You want to be able to handle and fire the firearm to get a sense of them and this can only be done on a range. The NARGC course may not facilitate this, but if it does (on a range) then by all means use that one.

Arrange discussion with a seller - Get a serial number (before buying?) or do I actually buy it to get a serial number and then possibly be left without a useable gun if refused (can't imagine I would be, but still - a bit strange) / buy a safe at the same time

Buying privately, especially first time, can be daunting. There is always the risk of being refused, however slim, but no private seller (or none I know of) would hold a rifle while waiting to see if the buyer gets the license. This is because it can takes up to 3 months to get the license (usually not that long) and if the buyer is refused the seller must readvertise and try to sell the firearm all over again (which may include refusing offers from other potential buyers in the interim).

You meet the seller, someone secure for the both of you, and view the firearm. If you're happy you either buy outright and have the gun stored in an RFDs or leave a deposit if the buyer agrees to it, then get the serial number and license details of the seller and apply via the FCA1 for the license. When/if granted the license you either collect the rifle from the RFDs or meet the seller again, pay the balance, give a copy of your license so they can subsitute/cancel their license and collect your rifle.

Complete FCA1

Correct.

Here is a guide (posts 5, 6 & 7) and another thread with someone useful information (post 3 & 4).

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Okay, perfect, that clears pretty much everything up. Very much obliged 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭JP22

Welcome aboard.

As always Cass hit the nail on the head and excellent advice has been given by all members to date.

All I would add is there is nothing better that hands on, eyes on and more importantly talking to others who shoot and have experience to pass on. Do not be afraid to ask questions, there is no such thing as a stupid question (we all started as learners) and if you don’t ask you don’t know.

Clubs are very accommodating and a quick phone call will normally result in an invitation to visit and see the general setup (whats on offer, terms, conditions, etc…) and to have a chat with member’s present.

Best of luck.

JP

“Education is the best provision for the journey to old age.”

Advertisement