Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MRI - public cost

• 22-03-2022 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭glitterIsland

My GP referred me for an MRI of the brain. I got a date. My appointment letter doesn't give a cost or price. It says on the line for cost - HSE.

I googled and alliancemedical came up and they have some testing centres in some public hospitals. Online it said it's from 240 euro.

I would like to have a fair idea of the cost before I go so that I can budget now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

€240 is about right with Alliance Medical, some cost may be recoverable depending on your insurer and plan

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭glitterIsland

Thanks I will budget 240.

Why wasn't I notified of this cost in my appointment letter I wonder? It just says HSE.

Phew. That's much better. Thank you. I will budget 240 just in case. I think there might be an 80 euro day case charge or something like that. That would be lovely if it was 80 euro but I will budget for 240. I don't have a medical card either.

I was expecting to pay something without a medical card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

If HSE it is free. Catch is you might be waiting till the cows come home to actually get an appointment. Referral is one thing, appointment is quite another.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

I'm actually amazed. There's often so much complaining about the HSE and waiting list but there seems to be a huge improvement.

I was referred for endoscopy investigation and all in all it was a three month wait until I got an appointment and the appointment was about 2 weeks wait.

I was referred for the MRI a few weeks ago. I am a public patient.

If I was paying insurance and I heard about a public patient waiting a few weeks I would be left disappointed.

When my GP referred me I decided to put it to the back of my mind thinking I will be waiting a few months. Here I am being called within a few weeks.

• In theory it should be almost pointless to have private insurance, even to get a private room as for infection control rooms ought to be individual anyway. Except I wouldn’t always like to be left alone in a private room, if I needed help at least another person in the room could hear me calling if I couldn’t reach call bell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,029 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just a quick update re MRI scans and time frame. I mentioned I've a persistent problem with my left knee, leg and now HIP, previous MRI (waited 2 years) was inconclusive , that was a year ago. Pain has worsened, had a face to appointment in hospital Tuesday 22nd March, more X-ray's done and consultant of the opinion I need a full back MRI.

So assuming this would take weeks, I was astonished to get an appointment this Saturday, infact I could have got it yesterday if I was able to travel to another hospital.

So, not sure why but just thought I'd mention there seems to be a determined effort to get MRI scans done quickly. I'm a public patient.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement