Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Chance to get 48.ie 10.99 euro offer - Ends 4 April - 100 GB + All Calls & Texts

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

I'm on the 7.99 plan with 48. Works fine at home & no problem with roaming in Northern Ireland. If I travel to Europe & put another sim in the phone how does this work ?, I'll have a different number ? & how will it work with WhatsApp & other things on the iPhone ?, I'm not tech savvy & can't get my head around it 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭gipi

How recently did you roam in NI, agfasfos? There have been a few reports here and on the 48 community forum about people not getting any service in NI recently. I was up there myself about 2 weeks ago, and neither myself nor the other half had any service. I was there before Christmas and had roaming service with no difficulties. Haven't changed phone, SIM or any settings.

I was there in February this year & several times last year, no problems whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭chases0102

Changed over in the last few days, from Virgin, just wondering do I need to contact them to say I've moved so I won't still be charged? Didn't receive any cancellation email or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

The phone companies handle all that. As long as you are using your new sim but still have your old number then that means the move was successful. They should only look for payment if you have any outstanding charges with them. (Not sure what kind of plan you were on with Virgin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Just back from a trip to the Algarve. Two phones on the €7.99 plan worked without issues. Automatically acquired the roaming settings when we landed at Faro airport. Speeds were not the best but perfectly ok for WhatsApp, Facebook etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭McSween

Heading to south England on Thursday. I have an unlocked iPhone 11. If this doesnt work isnit easy to switch back to vodafone while over there? I think this phone has e-sim capability

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

If you want to try 48 use the link below and you’ll get a free month’s calls, texts, and data and two €10 Uber Eats vouchers for free.

Cheers.

https://refer.48.ie/QQGPxr

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There's a specific thread for referrals and it's not here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

How long have you been with 3? I was on the same plan as you but they recently removed the 'keep the credit' part of it hence my interest in 48. I've been with 3 for ten years or more at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭feargantae

Jaysus.... Am... About 13 years id say! My plan is listed as 3Prepay, different from the new plan which is "3 Prepay 20". If they booted me off it I'd be fuming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Yeah, I wasn't impressed! İt's been three or four months now, I don't use all the credit every month and noticed it wasn't increasing. That was the only thing keeping me with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

Did they change you over without your knowledge or did you change yourself over? As far as I'm aware they shouldn't have been allowed to change you over without your consent as you would have been locked into that plan. I made the mistake of changing to that new plan after they introduced it, not realising it meant I wouldn't get to keep my credit. That was my own fault though for not reading about the plan properly. That's kind of the main reason I ended up switching to 48. If I was still on the old 3 plan where I kept my credit I would have stuck with that since I was able to use the credit to buy PC games (which isn't really of any benefit for anyone who doesn't game on a PC) and buy apps/microtransactions on the Play Store.

In UK now. No signal until I did those network sim adjustments. My wife’s has dropped and I had to redo it. We should have got a vodafone sim card before returning here. Crazy

If you put a non 48 SIM in the phone does that just access data, it would be a different number ?

We got both our phones working by adjusting the sim app on the phones. If we text each it says ‘maybe’ in front of the name but innthe text messages area our contact names are gone completely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Anybody using 48 SIM in a router? Mine was working grand the past 18 months but very slow this evening, and my phone right beside the router is at normal speeds. There were generic emails sent about misuse of Sims a couple of weeks ago, I'm wondering are they throttling Sims that don't move location? Maybe just a coincidence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭amber2

Three and 48 service is appalling for us here today and yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭omicron

48 data seems to be gone to the dogs here the last week or so, especially this weekend. Don't have any three to compare it to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭john boye

Is international roaming on 48 still a shambles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

Well I'm with Gomo and currently in Portugal. All is working perfectly. Worth it for the extra euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hy Gieni

Spent a week in Torremolinos recently and 48 worked a treat. Absolutely no issues at all with it. Delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I'm in Thailand at the minute. I started up my phone and I'm connecting to a local provider with 4g data. How the hell is this happening when I can't connect when I'm in the North? I presume I can use away without penalty? No idea how it's working but it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

You will pay high data roaming charges.

48 have part-fixed their 4G data roaming issues, with a full fix due in September 2022 ... https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/48-says-no-data-roaming-in-parts-of-europe-until-september-41814751.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

How would I pay high roaming charges when I'm on a pay as you go contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Darwin

Most of the time I get H+ in France and occasionally 3G despite being in a major city. Really hope they sort their roaming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Have had the same issue in France twice in last couple of months. Had to manually update the APN each time to get it working and then just had H+. Had the same issue in Portugal earlier in the year and got 3G after the APN changes. If you travel regularly I wouldn't recommend changing over atm

Advertisement