Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation where to find 6 month rental for Ukrainian family

Options
  • 23-03-2022 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hope this is the proper spot to post this if not my apologies.

Im American and been living in Kyiv with my wife for the last 4 years. I am looking for a 2 bedroom apartment to rent for us and her mother who is with us for 6 months or so. We are currently Airbnb hopping and having to move every week or so which isn’t fun. My wife currently has a US Visa being processed and her mother may as well soon once we figure things out (if she can’t ever go back). I work in the offshore Oil and Gas industry so need to be somewhat near an airport. Seems somewhat difficult to find something to rent for less than a years time. Would rent for longer but her mom prefers to go back to Kyiv once this is over, hopefully soon!

Post edited by raddarr on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It is really tough to find a rental in Galway and a lot of the country at the moment. We have had a housing crisis for several years. As you'll have noticed there are plenty of choices on AirBnB but not so many choices for longer term rental. The University students should be wrapping up for summer in May/June so that might open up some property but then some of those won't be open to 6 month leases is my bet as they'll want to rent to tourists at an extortionate rate for the summer.

What I have found is many long term rentals are not advertised and insist on 2-3 months rent as a deposit and rent paid in cash each month. These houses and apartments can be found sometimes by talking to estate agents but more likely by talking to people in the communities but harder to do when you aren't local.

It seems like some hotels around the country are being repurposed to house those fleeing the war. Probably isn't ideal but it might be a more sustainable option than paying AirBnB rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

It’s very difficult to fund anywhere to rent. If you take a 12 month lease and then you decide to leave early, all you have to do is offer to your landlord to find somebody to assign your lease to. If the LL agrees, you will find somebody easily (because of the housing crisis) and if the LL doesn’t want you to assign the lease, they have to allow you to leave early (with reasonable notice) and you get your deposit back. See rtb.ie for more info on tenants rights, which are very well protected here.

Advertisement