Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New RTX 3050 fitted, which cpu?

Options
  • 24-03-2022 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi folks, following on from a thread where I was deciding over a 1050 vs 1660, a member here recommended a 3050 was going for good price on Caseking.

Well I got myself an MSI RTX 3050 Aero ITX OC from Caseking. So far I've only done a quick DaVinci Resolve test and a blast on Warzone.

Using MSI Afterburner in Warzone, I could watch the 3200g (iGPU disabled) solid at 100% (4Ghz) and the 3050 is sitting at 61-71%. I knew the next step with this build was going to be a cpu anyway so I may as well start looking!

Quick Spec list;

MSI B450M Mortar Max

Ryzen 3 3200g APU (vega graphics disabled)

16gb Corsair 3200mhz ddr4

MSI RTX 3050

700w psu

Boot Drive; Samsung 980 500gb m.2

Game storage; WD 500gb m.2

So far my main concern is what cpu can the b450 handle. The Ryzen 5600x is same 65w as the 3200g and is 6 core 12 thread. I've read conflicting reports of b450 boards able to support 8c/16t which run 105w. 2 other issues, the b450 only runs PCIe Gen3 so I won't have advantage of Gen4 for gpu or cpu but I like the mortar max for its dual m.2 and multiple usb 3.2 gen2 ports.

This will be this systems last upgrade bar maybe a larger storage device (2tb ssd or 4tb hdd). I built it in March 2020 and got used as home office and school for covid, now its getting mainly gopro video editing and gaming use.

Thanks in advance!

Alan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Going by the LTT Tier List they reckon it's good for 125A so a 5800X would be no problem, however the 5600X is the best value (price-per-core & overall) so that would be my recommendation.

Spend the difference on a quiet cooler and you won't be opening that machine up any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

Thanks K.O.Kiki!

Based on whats actually available to buy, the 5600x has jumped out at me and is within an achievable budget after getting the 3050.

The 5600x comes with a wraith cooler and I know the 3200g I have is far lower in overall power but you would recommend an uprated one regardless? JaysTwoCents recommended that Vetroo V5 cooler so I might try that one.

Thanks for the quick reply!!!

Vetroo V5 was good at 25euro but now it's closer to 40.

Meanwhile if you can fit the 160mm Gelid Phantom (also in Black!) I'd say it's a better deal - more thermal mass & 2 fans means you can run this at super low speeds for silent operation.

Or go cheap & get any 120mm tower under 30euro, e.g. Deepcool Gammax 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

Thanks once again!

I'll sit down once kids gone to bed tonight and find something that will work in my system.

The wraith cooler was good because it had pre applied thermal paste, I'm kinda freaked out I'll do that bit wrong ha!

Suppose just gotta trust myself to do it right eh?

If you know your case's model, it's very easy to find out how much clearance there is 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jon Doe

According to this

storage-asset.msi.com/datasheet/mb/global/B450M-MORTAR-MAX.pdf

you're maxed out at 3rd Gen Ryzen, so it seems the most powerful CPU you can get is the Ryzen 9 3950X. At least, as far as the mobo's BIOS can recognize. Before you buy a Ryzen 5x00 be sure to give yourself a €65 margin:

geizhals.eu/asus-prime-b550m-k-90mb14v0-m0eay0-a2295533.html

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jon Doe

Sorry, didn't notice that. I advised the OP to hedge his bets. That never a bad advice.

Advertisement