Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New mountain bike

Options
  • 24-03-2022 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am buying a new mountain bike using bike-to-work scheme. I will mainly use it for scooting around country roads locally but I will also go to those forest tracks. I never fancied the road biking stuff.

I was into a couple of bike shops and one bike I liked was a Cannondale for around 700 quid. It had 10 speeds - gears only on back wheel. A Monty was recommended too. The problem is that I dont know what to ask for. Any advice or tips or links. I am 48 and live in Galway if that helps.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Bumping selfishly as I'm looking for the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

So for roads, and country tracks, a hardtail will be fine. Much better to put your money into good front suspension, light frame and drivetrain, rather than more parts (ie: complex full-sus frame and rear shock).

I'll generalise heavily below, and likely be challenged if people reply! I'm making the assumption that you're actually going to be hitting dedicated trails or rough roads.

Geometry

This is always a compromise. A more upright bike is better and more efficient on the flat, a lower slacker bike is better on the downhill, as you can lean back over the rear of the bike to balance it. A better description of where you plan to ride will help in the decision making here. The slacker the bike, the more chance it will have a dropper seatpost, so you can pedal normally, and then quickly drop the seat and get over the back end if you hit trail.

Bike to Work

Sorry for ignoring your budget here...

Assuming you're on the higher tax bracket, IMO you're losing out on €250 tax free by going with a €700 bike. Go with a bike for €1250 , as you can't use the scheme again at all for 4 years from today, so now is the time to invest rather than wanting to upgrade in 2 years time and not doing so tax free. Accessories tend to cost more in shops than online, so I tend to buy there.

Drivetrain

10 speed wouldn't be the latest tech really - 12x1 speed would be a newer more common standard. Previously, you would have needed 10X at the rear say, and 2X at the front chainring to get the same range needed to climb easily but also to go fast.

With newer 12 speeds, you don't just get more increments, but also more range on just a rear cassette only, keeping just a x1 at the front. This means a less complex design, less chance of the chain coming off, and less chance of catching the chainring on a log or dropoff if you do decide to give them a go.

Going with an older standard tends to make it more difficult to get parts, or do any upgrading in future. I recently upgraded my brakes, and now have to find adapters so that the shifter levers will fit on, as they're different standards.

Suspension

Hardtail should be fine. Even still, there is lots of adjustment to feel you can do with a basic air fork by adjusting the air pressure. Most will have a locking lever so that you can lock it on the road and not waste energy as you pedal.

You can upgrade the fork later too if you were inclined - the best versions control high and low speed compression, and damping, along with air pressure and internal air volume - more than most people need, but the best suspension will handle both roots and big jumps with ease.

Tyres / Tubeless

Go with 29" tyres (instead of 27.5") - these are becoming more common and are more efficient. All bikes will come from factory with tubes. A more reliable option is to upgrade to to tubeless valves + sealant. You can run lower, grippier pressures off road. You're less likely to get a flat, and if you do, the sealant should stop the leak, so you just need to pump it up and continue.

Accessories

• Helmet. Buy a decent one. €75 should go a long way for quality MTB top lid. I like Giro but that's just me. Full face if you're off road a lot. I get a lot of positive comments on my lime coloured one from friends who easily see me in the forest. https://www.giro.com/p/fixture-mips-road-bike-helmet/100000002400000002.html?dwvar_100000002400000002_color=MatteAnoLime
    • Lights. On in the daytime on country roads. Always.
    • Shoes. MTB shoes will have a hard, flat bottomed rubber. I used Shimano, friends have Five Ten. A cheap pair are fine to begin with, you just want that flat bottom really. Waterproof, BOA laces and durability can come later.
    • Pedals. best to buy metal pedals, unlikely to be included as standard.
    • Gloves. I wear them in the city now too. Best protection if you do fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Just my two pennies worth here, regardless of what bike you opt for, try to stay clear of those Kenda tyres [they seem to be on everything!]. I had two experiences of these things in the last 7 years and all I can say is bleep bleep bleep. they might be ok for some types of ground but they just drive me nuts with the number of punctures they gave me.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Have decided to buy a hardtail MNTB, either a Bombtrack Beyond+ Adv 2021 or a Kona Unit X, in order of preference. I've been looking at buying online and it is nigh on impossible to find a retailer online! Is this a general bike shortage worldwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

If in Galway chat to the guys in MBW in Moycullen.

They're much more MTB focused compared to the other shops in Galway city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Advertisement