Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a Doctor Refuse to See Unvaccinated Patients (non covid related)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There wouldn't be many left in the waiting room if a doctor refused to see all those that ignored his or her medical advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,651 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

We seem to be heading down the road of hypotheticals here, the op says nothing about the patient receiving treatment connected to the vaccination, only that the GP allegedly refused to allow her to continue as a patient at the Clinic based on vaccination status.

I would also draw your attention to the first line of section 9 of that document.

“In exceptional circumstances you may need to consider refusing specific treatments to individual patients.”

Vaccination status would not be considered exceptional, the GP may “consider refusing specific treatments”, that is a far cry from a policy of refusing all treatment.

I’m annoyed with myself for engaging with you on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Why would you engage any professional if you are not going to follow their advice?

The GP has an entire waiting room of potentially vulnerable patients. Absolutely they van make a practice decision based in the health of all their patients

• Advertisement

Does that extend to all respiratory illness or just covid?

Maybe we should keep sick people out of waiting rooms?

Although one wonders about the logic at play here.. if this doctor is determined to only treat vaccinated patients then surely one unvaccinated child is little risk to anyone in a clinic full of vaccinated people! It's a rather anti vax position to hold if this qualified medic has little faith in the vaccine at keeping the vaccinated safe..

It's all a bit contradictory really.

Maybe it's more an ideological position that they hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Absolutely not. Higher standards maybe but definitely not lower standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,002 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But some of the other patients won't have had some vacvines because said vaccine wasn't invented yet when they were the age to get the vaccine.

Should the GP refuse them consultation too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well it might seem like that for those on welfare or with a medical card. Not for the majority who have to pay

I wonder does the doctor get an anti vaccine rant everytime she sees the child and that is the reason for refusal to see until the behaviour improves of the parent. I cannot see any doctor refusing to see unvaccinated unless they have genuine health reasons. Eg a doctor eith a kidney transplant who is seeing patients at great personal risk can insist on patients get vaccinated or finding another doctor unless a life or death emergency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

They are not 10 a penny for anyone anymore as you say. There was a time when doctors getting close to the maximum number they want to take on, wouldn't take on anymore medical card patients but would continue to take on a few more cash patients. Now the vast majority of GPs aren't taking any new patients at all

OP needs more context anyway.

It is possible (likely?) that they mother refuses both the vaccine and the clinic's requirement of getting a PCR test done before visiting the surgery.

The person thinking they are 10-a-penny might be on the medical card/welfare long term and not be aware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,989 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

yet the government are bringing an estimated extra 200k and giving them medical cards many that have never taken the jab but you can bet your bottom dollar they’ll be seen without question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

How on earth do some posters manage to come into the legal discussion forum and manage to turn an unrelated thread into dole bashing.... It's bad enough in AH and CA without it spilling into other forums as well.

Sure he is yet many people that have taken the vaccines have had covid so how exactly does he believe it’s for the well-being of his patients? It’s the first vaccine that fails to prevent the disease it was made for.

Also as many are saying here he wants to protect his other patients even though everyone in the waiting are coughing sneezing and obviously have an ailment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

In this country I have had dealings with many doctors, from some absolute gems, very kind freckled doctors, to ignoramuses who gave misdiagnosed. I wasn’t vaccinated for Covid eventually getting this illness very mild while those of the vaxxed around me were struck down with awful symptoms, but the doc said it was necessary but look at me k is full health and I did not line the pharmacy pockets meanwhile all the vaxxed became unwell - thanks but I’ll make my own decision, many gps are clueless they bend to peer pressure same as anyone else,

It's not the first vaccine that "fails to prevent the disease it was made for". There's a whole plethora of them out there that are designed to either prevent or reduce the effects of the diseases they target, such as the MMR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Surely this is very common, also you might want a second opinion, or you value the docs opinion on one thing and not on another such as a novel illness where the doctors are expected to toe the line due to peer pressure

Unfortunately, you are exposing your own bias in that post. Nobody has said anything negative or bashed anyone.

If you make the automatic association between someone being on a medical card equating to an insult then that is on you.

Medical cards are to help people who need help. Many through no fault or decision of their own and it is not something for them to be ashamed of, even if others assume that it should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

And even though the thread name states it’s not covid related, it’s now all about covid

Its incredible how some people are obsessed with certain topics on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

The doctor may be a vulnerable person. Diabetic or similar and that makes seeing this person unsafe. Or indeed the patient not helping themselves by taking the note of the general safe guidelines information makes then a danger to others. Its about context. But as previously mentioned. It comes down to if practitioner feels unsafe in doing something or is indeed unsafe, they arennot obliged to act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,548 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Vaccines here have 85-95% of efficacy…

this is better efficacy then pretty much better than all influenza vaccines…

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with medical cards or welfare whatsoever, so please don't give me that sort of rubbish. We all know what you and the other poster meant to do by bringing it up.

Well said and unfortunately Dole Bashing thrown into the mix across various threads especially those that have nothing to do with state benefits. Disturbingly, the same posters always turn to Dole Bashing when loosing an argument or understanding the OP, indeed they rarely even read the OP before posting, tiresome nonsense.

Unfortunately there is quite a shocking reaction across various Threads about those in receipt of a MC and for some bizzare and inexplicable reason some posters neither understand MC , the need for them and frankly care less, as far as these individuals are concerned any state benefit wether is be medical or otherwise is assumed to be scrounging and its reprehensible.

Full disclosure, I have a Full Medical Card due to a diagnosed long term illness, I'm extremely grateful to have it and frankly would be in serious financial difficulties without it.

• Advertisement

Get out of that. Of course it has relevance. This is a legal forum. Not for giving legal advice but for discussing legal issues.

The contract between the patient and the doctor is of course of relevance and would affect the approach. If the doctor is receiving money from the state to take care of that patient then that is of course of relevance

There is no point in trying to deflect from your own bias when it is called out. Having a medical card is not an insult or something to be embarrassed about, no matter whether you or any other poster see it as the height of an insult or not.

Advertisement