Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin media 1GB - stable?

Options
  • 24-03-2022 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭

I tried to get virgin media 1GB a little over a year ago (moving from 500MB) with disastrous results.

Speeds were about 20-30mb wired with a very unstable connection (speed was fluctuating all the time sometimes dropping below dial up).

Had them out, they changed the modem (we’d gone from the white one to the newer black one), still had problems. We had them out again and they changed the cabling to all new, problem persisted, we downgraded to the 500MB and still had intermittent issues (but speeds in the 200-300MB range). Eventually we got a white modem back and the speed and consistency was excellent (still is).

This leads me to believe the firmware/software on the black modem was at fault.

I’m wondering now has that been resolved a year later? Have they upgraded the firmware and software in that time?

Im currently out of contract so looking at getting a speed bump to sweeten a renewal (getting rid of the TV service).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

Dub 24 here and upgraded to the 1GB package with the new black Hub around Nov last year.

I have to say its been pretty stable. A couple of issues with the provisioning at connection but they were sorted out day 1.

Cant comment on firmware as iv only been on the package a few months...

Full house. So streaming 2 - 5 devices at once. Some online gaming and voip and everything is running smoothly. (touch wood) :)

Taken around 9:30 friday night...

Misty

Advertisement