Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swatch X Omega

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Whoa, that's a feck up in materials and product production. Especially for something that directly sits on human skin. Hell, you can have lego bricks in all colours keep their colour for many decades and they didn't turn kids hands different colours.

Plastics off gas when new, it's a lot of the "new car smell" people reference, but leaching pigment to that degree? Like he said in the vid I wonder do the other colours leach to that degree, or is it the chemistry involved in just the blue pigment?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Black marker and a bit of tipex and you will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I keep to and fro-ing on these swatch x omega watches.

Ignoring the brand and hype and you have a decent looking watch with a decent quartz movement at a not so bad price. The color seepage is a worry and you would have to wonder what QC was done on these. You can't harp on about your superior swiss credentials and then mess up on QC on such a big profile product.

I can see how having the word 'omega' on the dial will shift a lot of product as, like it or not, that sells.

Then I wonder what Omega are getting out of this. Does this not just cheapen their brand? Like it or not there is a snobbishness about the more expensive/exclusive brands. Will this swatch-omega hybrid do the Omega brand more harm than good and alienate people who see Omega as a luxury brand etc?

Will some people wonder why they should spend €5k on a speedmaster pro when anyone of the Great Unwashed could be wearing this branded lookalike for little more than a week's dole money?

That said, I would still buy one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I can't imagine anyone mistaking one of these for a real Speedmaster Pro. And if they do, are they really people you want to know? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

How much is a speedmaster? Are they worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Speedmaster is a great watch CuttingTimber, an "icon" of watches, very nicely made, with a cool history and a long one too and not just on astronaut's wrists, and one of the watches I've always recommended to mates who asked me as their weirdo pet watchnerd; "What's a Good Watch for Life(tm) to buy?". I'd still stand by that too. A couple of caveats though: Try one on first. They seem to fit some people better than others. Secondly they're not automatics, IE you have to physically wind them to power them up. Personally I like that. Non watch nerd weirdos may not. Thirdly, buy used/secondhand as you'll save a fair few bob. Pricewise? I'm not that up to speed, but I think they're around 3500 quid for a secondhand one? More for the special editions, but I'd personally go for a standard one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Thanks. Was looking at one about ten years back and was very tempted. It had a clear back and could see the mechanics which was pretty amazing. Unfortunately the cash situation got complicated but of the expensive watches it was one that took my fancy. I just don’t like Rolex watches - but these things are subjective.

"Soya based plastic material". You need to copyright that phrase. Rival companies will lap it up. Swatch Omega is for soyboys.

https://zoom.us/u/adJBOcPNZO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

When I wanted to buy one a few years back you were looking at 3,000-3500. You can kind of still get them in around the 3,500 range from Japanese sellers (but that's kind of moot with the import tax you will incur on top)- anything a bit closer to home in the EU seems to be sitting closer to 5,000. I tried a few Irish jewelers recently and they were all asking in and around 5k second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I don't know if this is a marketing thread or a simple discussion.

And honestly, today I wouldn't buy a Swatch anymore. They have greatly reduced shops and their service attitude and spare parts like new watch straps are very hard to come by. Also batteries and the exchange of batteries used to be for free with Swatch, now that's also gone.

Yes, they are nice and practical watches, but it's not what it used to be anymore. At least that's my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I’ll prob grab one of these at some point when the hype dies down. Not much risk involved for two fiddy.

Hopefully one of my pals gets one first though so I can see one in the metal plastic bioceramic.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ShamanRing

Interestingly there is a shortage in blue plastic dyes for lab consumables. All the tubes I’ve ordered recently come with a letter explaining why all the caps are colourless. Could swatch have used a poor quality or unproven substitute?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Swatch right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Now the hype is dying down i wonder if many people who paid over the odds are looking at a plastic watch with shítty strap and regretting spending €500 on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Fitz II

500 quid would be bad enough, the eejits spending three, even four times that need medical help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Retail price is too much for them .Claiming they have moonwatch history is similar to Oisin claiming the zero west watches have any ww2 history

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭893bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

€5k for one - insane 😁 although I guess at 20x retail it was roughly the same as the Tiffany Patek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Loads on Chrono24 and I believe trying to sell them as rare Speedmasters. This is scandalous and I did email Chrono24

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I wouldn't worry about it, no one is going to spend €17k on a speedmaster without knowing what he's buying. If the dealers can be flagged it might be useful to avoid them for any future dealings for other watches

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Absolutely, but is immoral and disgusting and on such a prominent site, should be called out

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I think Jodi from Just One More Watch called it right. No one cares when someone does it with a rolex, but for some reason they have a problem with this swatch. I don't think these are going for those prices, blame the buyers if they are.

Why is it immoral and disgusting? If one of these sells for whatever €1k, €5k, €10k, it means that both the seller and the buyer are happy with the transaction. Two consenting adults. I can honestly see nothing wrong here. The seller is trying to make a profit, just like every other watch dealer in the world, amateur or professional. And the buyer wants something that's hard to get (and probably wants to show it off) and is willing to dig deep for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

I was in Venice last week and popped into the Omega shop for a nose (my main piece is a circa 2013 quartz Seamaster) and I saw these and liked the look of them, the Moon one especially. They informed me they were for display purposes only, and sent me to the Swatch shop.

Swatch shop was sold out, and the display cabinet was not for sale. I am looking for a midweek/working watch and these caught my eye (recently bought a Casio as I've wanted one for a while but it looks tiny on my wrist) . Is the consensus that these are overpriced even at retail? I enquired in one of the bigger jeweler chains here in Cork and they said they will get whatever is left over from bigger franchises in Dublin, and that there's a waiting list. I have no intention of paying over retail fwiw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You could get much nicer watches for €250 but it really depends how much you want the Omega name on your Swatch.

Someone posted it earlier already, but Swatch actually do a 'Night Flight' model after the Speedmaster which is made of steel rather than plastic and it's cheaper than the Moonswatch

Advertisement