Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swatch X Omega

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Thats an interesting take on it. Maybe the watch collector at this level somehow feels they are more pure than the rolex collector they see as being greedy, money obsessed fools. Unfortunately the clamour for people to get these has shone a less than pure light on this segment also. People are all the same really. There is one on adverts for 1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

What would happen if Swatch / Omega decided not to release anymore Moonswatchs? Would the couple of thousand in the wild warrant the inflated price?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

For sure but why would they? They can easily sell a few million of these. Times €150 margin = guts of a billion net profit

I suppose it comes down to why Omega went along with the proposal in the first place and whether the thinking around that has changed since the launch and the public reaction.

I read somewhere how the moonswatch launch was a low key low budget affair, compared to the budgets at watches and wonders. Yet all the buzz and exposure swatch and omega received from the moonswatch.

I looked at that ad you posted on adverts, I think there are folks out there genuinely upset at the idea of a plastic watch with a quartz movement selling for a grand. That stirring people up is what marketing aims to do. When the moonswatch is readily available , I think it'll lose the spice it has at the moment.

Maybe, they will sell well, I'm picturing half a million people with blue wrists.

I am still struggling with why the release was such a big deal, and certainly anyone that will know this is a worthwhile watch will also know they will be easy to get in a few months. Sure the guy on adverts admits there was no queue in Amsterdam....so it just a matter of supply catching up. I know why people bought them, and I will get one myself once I can order online. But I cannot for the life of me figure out who is paying 2x 3x 4x retail for them..

• Advertisement

We'll the guy on adverts was arguing it wasn't worth 3 times retail because of the materials it was made of, plastic and quartz. A Rolex that sells for 2 or 3x retail is largely made of steel albeit with a few hundred finely machined parts. For me the moonswatch and current pricing demonstrates that any watch is worth what people are prepared to pay, it's those people/market that set the price and not the production cost of the watch. He complains about the hype, but it looks to me like Swatch or Omega didn't do much at all to drive the hype, the community seems to driving it. It's not like Oisin is doing paid reviews.

It was a bit of a self-propelled hype. Watches have been in a hype (or more correctly I think is they have sharply increased in popularity) in the last few years. Fueled buy many factors, the main ones probably COVID (boredom / trying new things / having tonnes of spare money) combined with modern rap and sports culture where many icons ostentatiously wear (and talk about) luxury watches. Then real hypes like the fancy colour base Rolex going for 3 times retail and the hype explosion of a base fancy colour Patek Philippe selling for millions.

Perfect timing for the launch of the Swatch X Omega 😁

These hype watches will drop like a brick in value. But the popular luxury watches like most steel sport Rolex (the non-hyped ones) won't. Those are my predictions anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Am I right in thinking that Ed Sheeran is wearing a MoonSwatch while around Dublin?

I might be able to visit a Swatch boutique this weekend. See if I can pick one or two up if they have them in stock 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I wonder is Ed flogging the moonswatch or maybe he just likes it…You know as a high end collector maybe he appreciates cheaper watches as well…Who would of thought ?

• Advertisement

What's so hard to understand here? These Moonwatches are hot. He wants to be seen wearing one / is interested in the hype / whatever. Same reason I'd probably pick one or two up myself this weekend if there is availability of the ones I like and I happen to pass a Swatch boutique

When the hype is over they'll probably be dumped / forgotten. Not kept on display as a token "look I like cheap watches too, I'm no snob". Or maybe just kept for the time you need to do some very rough work and you don't want to wear your 5 figure Rolex or 6 figure Patek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Nothing hard to understand at all. High end watch collectors can also enjoy low end watches , even if the enjoyment is short lived .Assuming these collectors only have them to say “I’m no snob “ as opposed to having them because they want them says a lot more about those making the assumptions than the collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭893bet

Is that directed at me? Unkel? Wibbs? Or Fitz?

As all 4 of us offered that opinion yesterday in the other thread? Strangely passive aggressive given you didnt really respond comprehensively on the other thread where it was discussed.

So what does it say about so? Enlighten the 4 of us directly.

I didn’t realise I was addressing a team effort but if the hat fits ,feel free to wear it with pride .I’m not bothered by how many people hold the opposite opinion to mine ,it doesn’t alter mine in any way , debating different points of view might hence the reason to give opinions.

Not sure in what way it came across as passive aggressive but we are all big boys here so I’m surprised if a few lines of text has offended anyone.Someone mentioned in the other thread that they were unsure to what was being debated anymore which I responded as “point taken “ as in the point of debate has been lost and has been dragged out.

I didn’t realise I have to respond comprehensively but I mean f*ck me , I didn't respond comprehensively to my leaving cert so don’t be offended if you don’t get well thought out logical responses from me on watch forum.

To clarify my point of the previous post which is now taking more effort than it’s worth.If Ed Sheeran is wearing a moons-watch , I assume he is wearing it because he wants to .Not to sell it or to be down with the affordable watch gang or to say I’m not a snob .This was the opinion offered by yourself and other posters which I disagree with .If a collectors of Ed Sheeran’s level can appreciate a cheap watch while having a collection worth high 6 figures at a minimum without feeling he is too good for a cheap watch , I think that collectors with €100k collection should be able to do the same.If you and that’s a general you so don’t get upset, don’t like cheap watches ,that’s of course perfectly fine but don’t assume that a famous collectors who has cheaper watches is only plamausing the little fellows.

Most importantly don’t be getting touchy because of a post written by a stranger on the internet ,there is no passive aggression in any of my past or future posts towards anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Ed Sheeran caused this, the prick.

Ermmmm I think if you someone is offended based on the general tones of your posting it you lol. You can try and wiggle all you want and pretend you weren’t bothered, but it was a snide remark. If you can’t see that or admit that………well I guess that says a lot about you. Google “gaslighting”. It’s what you just did above.

I believe my point was at least was that there is a lot of virtue signaling by some famous watch people (and half acknowledging Timeless watch channel as being famous makes me uneasy). Does that virtue signaling apply to all high end collectors which is what you are trying extrapolate that view to? Not what I meant anyway. Does it mean any collector can’t enjoy all “levels” …..of course not. I have a very nice Stowa and have my eye on several Nomos. And you enjoy Tudor clearly. We both demonstrate that you can enjoy “lower” level watches.

I think the original discussion was not about enjoying watches at all level but enjoyment of watches at all levels equally. Big difference. One obviously true and one obviously false. It's the denial of the obvious, the attempt to homogenise the hobby and deny the obvious differences that produce all this disingenuous nonsense where the importance of not hurting someone's feeling is inversely proportional to the actual quality of their collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

People will often pay over the odds for what's cool, Rolex are definitely in that position at the moment albeit at a much higher level. I guess if money is no object, or a much lesser consideration, then I could see somebody wasting money on something as hyped as this. It's a nuanced consideration, but those who follow popular trends of the day don't often worry about price vs value equations. A RM 11 03 isn't going to hold a candle to an 1815 chronograph, but which is more recognisable among those who wish to express wealth to those lacking the means to buy either? Likewise with a wildly popular quartz swatch right now, that is obviously inferior to the speedy but you can use it as an avenue to "flex", which is an unfortunate but very real aspect of watches.

• Advertisement

Anyone here have any hands on experience with a RM ?

oh a 1815 chrono is pretty close to the top of my list of wants. A 414.031 to be exact. Rose gold with black face! Mmmmmm not even a chance to handle one in this country sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

@893bet There’s one on C24 currently from a dealer that says they’re in Dublin and have it in hand.

Edit: Actually, looks like dealer office based here but watch might be in U.K.

Yeah. Them c24 games of not being in the country and also not having the watch even.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

two yellow the same day? 30 mins apart.

Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

And just turned down an offer for 350, brave move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Seeing those more 'in the flesh' pictures rather than the glossy ones on the swatch website I must say at least this yellow one looks rather tacky and cheap and plasticky. Might get a chance to see one in the flesh in the next few days but these pics wouldn't temp me at all. Even at 250.

Agreed. Looks very cheap. Can’t see these exceeding expectations much quality wise.

Swatch quality with Omega branding. Probably expensive for what you are getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Advertisement