Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandatory Certification Training for first time hunters - Minister Noonan's Press Release

• 24-03-2022 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi Chaps, any thoughts on the above which was announced yesterday?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Been coming for a while now and was postponed for the last 2 years due to covid as it was originally intended to be introduced for the 19/20, iirc.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 gapjnr

Just did the training with country sports Ireland.. 2 day course that I taught would be a complete waste of time and money but the course was actually top class.. really enjoyed both days and goy great knowledge from the guys presenting it. Unlike most courses this course was presented by lads who are actually active in the control of deer numbers. Looking forward to the deer handling course now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

Just a question on this topic- while filling in a Sec42 application I noticed a section where you could apply to lamp deer IF you had one of the approved courses done.

Do any of them teach you how to lamp deer for this purpose?

If not, why does having a course done make you better able to do so?

I was genuinely wondering about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Rescueme0007

tomtucker81, I would imagine that the NPWS are keen to ensure that anyone receiving a S42 with use of a lamp included would have some form of training validation. I rather expect that there is a fear of being potentially held liable if something untoward were to happen. They are attempting to show that they have done all that "a reasonable man" would do to ensure safe behaviour when shooting in the dark (which is the only reason for using a lamp).

I cannot think of any other specific reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Rick Dalton

Just a query on the course. I am due to sit HCAP in April through Deer Alliance. Theory part is okay I’m studying for that at present.

Query is regarding the range test. I won’t receive my license for .243 until I have a deer license. I can’t get my deer license until I complete HCAP. I can’t pass my HCAP without passing range test.

So I assume that the course providers will have a rifle on the day for students to use? As I guess most are in the same boat as me going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭kunekunesika

Did mine with country sports up in Sligo. Range provided 2 rifles, which had been pre arranged for some of the lads in your situation. Contact the course provider well in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

We'll have to have degree course completed before getting a firearms licence next..... I suppose the only good thing would that it would weed out the dopes from getting licences.

Advertisement