Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why KIA are the new Toyota.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

The EV6 is awful looking in the flesh, that rear end is not going to age well.

I particularly think the front DRL's look very cheap and nasty on the EV6 the way you can see the individual LED bulbs and you can see how it's like 6 individual strips of LED's that are not seamlessly connected, like you can see blank spots in the strip.

I think it's meant to be a design feature but when you see one coming down the road against you, it looks like a kit that a certain minority taxi driver got off of wish.com for his B6 Passat.

Back to the original topic - comparing Toyota to Kia. When have Kia ever stepped above the competition to make cars like Toyota did in the 90s/00s?

Have Kia ever made cars like the MR2, Celica, Supra, Chaser, AE86/GT86, Sera?

Have Kia ever made a signature engine like the 2JZ, possibly the greatest mass produced engine of the 90s along with the RB26DETT?

The Corolla GR below is the latest in the line after the Yaris GR. They are also updating the GT86 line. Kia have the stinger, thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I disagree but then looks are subjective. I think it looks great. Seen one yesterday in the dark blue and it looked great.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yes because Toyota is - always was " exciting "

Bizarre comment, this is some of their current "exciting" cars for sale or on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭creedp

Have to say I agree. I think the front looks well but I have seen a few EV6s now including following one in the dark, but cant warm to that bulbous rear end which doesnt work with the rest of the car. IMO it might work better in a taller SUV type design.

Its the opposite with the Hyundai Tuscon with the front not working with the rest of the car. I really cant get used to that front light show

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Kia are providing quality cars with reasonable bang for buck in terms of base features. Toyota in the past along with German cars were known for reliability and longevity. Nowadays the majority of people are not buying cars based on having them for 7-8yrs+, buying trends and reasons have changed. The likes of Skoda have increased their brand awareness but that is now coming with significant price increases from even 4/5 years ago. Kia have done so also but to a lesser extent. Are Kia the new Toyota? Depends what that really means, but Kia are going in the right direction while Toyota are stagnating or going backwards.

For the EV6 looks discussion -> I'm in the fan category. New, and somewhat daring design for a full EV platform Kia. The VW ID's as a comparison are much more bland/playing it safe. Each to their own though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

We all know the greatest engine ever produced is the 4efe!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any of those cars weren’t considered class leaders in their day though.

You insinuated indirectly that Toyota don't make exciting cars. Now you are saying they arent mainstream. There are very few exciting mainstream cars because in reality 90% of the population dont want exciting cars.

For what its worth, the Yaris GR was around €50k when first released, to put it in perspective that close to a new Kia Nero EV. Elitest they are not.

Not the point I was trying to make, at the time these cars were being made by toyota no other manufacturer had the same breadth of skin in the game in the fun car department. Honda had some cracking FWD cars and the NSX, Mazda the rx7, Nissan a few RWD coupes and the GTR. Toyota did it all, fwd, rwd, 4wd, coupe, convertible etc.

At the end of the day Kia are miles away from Toyota in the engineering stakes and havent got anywhere near the same ambition with car design either (theres more to car design than a ton of leds). There is very little comparison at all.

Oh yeah the thread is a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Literal decades of motorsport heritage and dozens upon dozens of awesome cars.

What the hell are you on about?

Ms

How could they be? Kia are a young company but they have made great strides on the past 10-15 years. I bet if you went at looked at Toyota the company when it was at 20 or 30 years old they would not have been very exciting either.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

A young company, that's cute. Just looked in up, turns out Kia as a name is around for 77 years but they spent 52 of those years rebranding other peoples junk before they went out of business, then Hyundai pulled them out of the sh1tter in 97 and now they sell exclusively Hyundais rebranded junk.

What Toyota were doing when the company was 30:

Making one of the worlds most iconic models even to the present day;

Ms

Kia might be around for that long but the car company itself is quite young.

I do not know what your problem is but they are far from junk. Otherwise why would they be so popular? You can not go a day without seeing Kias around. Also I have never seen a Kia broke down but I have seen a Toyota or two broke down.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

My problem is two fold,

one is that my own opinion is that the current Kia product is not really that good and i like expressing that opinion wherever possible.

the other is i get a little kick out of how blinkered you are by Kia and i enjoy countering every weak arguement that you post, it's almost like a sport to me.

Sure, Kia is popular but so is smoking. People dont know what's good for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I find Skoda very boring. They’re not good looking or stylish. The Kodiaq looks good in a nice colour and spec. Superb really looks bland, not classy like it should.

Skodas are fine cars, but would I ever want or desire one of the current range. No

Ms

That last point is where you are wrong.

My Dad was a big Ford fan. He had a Mobdeo an S-Max and a C-Max and was going to buy a Kuga the old generation not the current one but when he was in the Ford dealer the dealer said he looked small in the Kuga and that it did not suit him what kind of a salesman or woman does that. Not one that wants to make a sale that's for sure.

So he said feck that. Had a look at some other Cars and in the end bought Sportage number 1 from the local dealer which I was against and tried to get him to buy an Outlander but that was too big for him. It actually turned out to be a great car although the phone buttons on the steering wheel were not as good as the Fords before. He wanted something smaller than the Outlander and now is on his 3rd Sportage. Its less stressful as he does not have to travel far to get it serviced and as he is a pensioner can get the bus home free on a short stress free journey and back in the next day when the car is serviced.

As for smoking it is at last dieing a death. I see less and less people smoking every day now which is great. People are finally seeing sense.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I disagree with you there. I think the current Octavia and Superb are great looking cars. I think the rest of the range are inoffensive decent cars.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

When Kia start fitting rear axles that don’t corrode to the point of the car becoming dangerous/unstable within their warranty period , they will remain in the poor build quality section.

They just need to make the warranty period shorter!

With ideas like that you should be running the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

The Coast Guard are retiring the fleet of Toyota Hilux 3.0 SR5, and ordered Kia Picanto MY21 FloatyBoaty after seeing THIS

Post edited by Pekarirska on

Ms

Ye because the VW group do not I suppose oh wait there is that bearing fault on the Seat Leon MK 2 that could be fatal and probably also on the Golf too. How do I know this? Because my sister had one and only for a good mechanic she could have been involved in a serious accident on the M4.

She now drives a Hyundai IX35 and has had zero trouble with it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Bit dramatic.

Hyundai/ Kia are rot boxes, that's a fact. Plenty of 10-ish year old i30's and Cee'ds getting condemed during service and NCT's because of rotten subframes.

Also not terribly unusual to see Mk1 i20's and i30's with the outer sills gone.

They are one of the last brands IMO to really struggle with corrosion protection. You don't usually see terminally rusty cars anymore... except for Hyundai/ Kia.

Advertisement