Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion needed please

Options
  • 25-03-2022 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hello! Looking for opinions on job and previous job! I'm 7 months in my current job in the public sector, grade 3 point one! I wfh two days a week etc. I was working in childcare before hand and am really really missing it! Would I be mad to go back? I find the job now very boring and miss the interactions and teaching the children, the only reason I left was the money and future prospects but money wise, I'd be about the same at the moment although with no pay scale unless the government can go ahead with that this year 🤞

Thanks so much for reading and advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, you would be mad to go back. Where you are now you will have just about guaranteed pay increases for 15 years, and a job you can do until you retire. Childcare is a lifetime of low pay, and work that is increasingly physically challenging as you age.

If you miss kids, find some volunteer work with them at nights/ weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Once in as a CO there should be opportunities for promotion and at the very least a transfer to a role you might enjoy more.

End of the day though if you don’t like it you don’t like it. Maybe follow what you enjoy.

There's a lot to be said for a job that makes you happy versus one that saps your soul.

Thing is you are now in a position where you can branch out to something different, learn new skill sets etc. Doing further education and progressing can be a hugely positive experience in itself.

But if working with kids is where you want to be then maybe that's what you should do.

Personally I would sit down and make out a list of the positives and negatives of each decision. Be sure to look at both options under a variety of topics e.g. Happiness, salary, pension, health, hours, progression opportunities etc etc etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You only have one life to live, choosing to spend a large portion of it doing something that makes you unhappy is not the smart way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭backwards_man

It depends on what stage of life you are in. There is a lot to be said for financial stability. The older you get the more you will appreciate it. If you are less than 30 then you might not care about that so much. Public sector jobs are not easy to come by. You have a job for life, guaranteed pension and probably some flexibility at some stage to take a career break and walk back into your job (I might be wrong on that one nowadays). If it were me I would keep the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement