Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meter box placement

Options
  • 25-03-2022 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi All,

We are about to start a new selfbuild and I am trying to tie down the placement of ducting for services and the electricity supply to the house. Something I hadn't really thought of came to my attention during a conversation about my build when someone questioned my meter box placement - the box is placed on the side of the house closest to the pole but he asked where i plan to put my breaker box etc as the meter will back onto a downstairs bedroom and the utility etc where I would ideally want all this to go is on the completely opposite side of the house. He questioned if it was advisable or even allowed to run a cable from the meter box under the floor or along the roof to the other side of the house and having the breakers in the bedroom is obviously someting I don't want for many reasons.

I would have no problem having the power enter on the other side of the house but I'd be over 50m from the pole and it would be much further back from the front of the house than the 2 metres I see mentioned in ESB literature?

Any advise would be welcome (I am making enquires in parallel also of course). Is meter box placement rules enforced i.e. can I just put it towards the back of the house? The over 50 m run is another issue then even if I do this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CantCatchCovid

You can run a cable from the meter to the consumer unit no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Thanks for your response, if this is ok to do then that would solve the issue - the run would be about 8 to 10 metres (if it was under the floor depending on exact route. I suppose the more I think about it having the power enter from the other side of the house would be a neater solution as all my other services will be that side however if it creates issues with the run to the pole then it may not be worth it.

Another brief question actually I was re-reading the ESB brochure on placement of the box and it said the service pole needs to be within the site boundary? Is that something that's actually followed as the pole allocated to run to is outside the site boundary.

Advertisement