Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dirt, vandalism and fires on the canal

• 25-03-2022 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone, hopefully im not the only person who has come across this stuff lately on the royal canal. I do be on the canal quite a lot and enjoy every piece of it from Ashtown all the way down beyond Maynooth. I usually go cycling and walking on the canal with few friends especially when the weather is good.

Sadly over the last 12-18 months I have noticed an horrendous decline in the "cleanliness" of the canal along with a decline in the "standard" of younger people who seem to hang around down there.

It's normal to see people fishing, walking dogs, taking a stroll, cycling of simply passing through.

That is what makes the canal great. I think it's beautiful especially the parts that are not paved with tarmac or asphalt.

However its not (in my opinion) the norm to see teenagers setting fire to abandoned houses, and destroying the surrounded area. I have seen couches, fire extinguishers, a washing machine, styrofoam sheets, and many other things floating along the bank in the last few weeks.

The areas around Coolmine and Clonsilla seem to be the worst now. Toerags have literally tried burning the dry banks of the canal.

It seems that didn't satisfy them enough so they resorted to burning the abandoned house out at Barberstown level crossing. This isn't kids either "having a laugh" or causing mischief.

They destroyed a lot of items that were in that house and stuff that belonged to the prior owners (I assume passed away).

Photo frames, bills (with personal details), ornaments and that kind of thing are all over the grounds of the garden for the world to see.

Has anyone else noticed an uptick in this scummyness down there? Is all we can do about this is ring the Garda?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Scrotes be scrotes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

Havent necessarily seen an uptick.

The population is growing all the time, so likely it will get worse. The apartments looking towards Ongar/Hansfield now come right up to the canal. Creating a tarmaced greenway will be great for cycling, but will also increase scumbag traffic - electric bikes will increase the range for these people too.

Advertisement