Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy first Caravan

Options
  • 26-03-2022 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Folks, this maybe up already but we have decided to buy a caravan and go touring for the summer. Not sure if it will suit us so we are looking for a caravan around 3-4K to start. Only problem is I know nothing about where to buy a caravan.

Does anyone have any recommendations of somewhere to that we won't get ripped off? Seen aload on Done deal but not sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Be very careful of the Newbridge crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Its a difficult task to buy a good caravan. We purchased ours off a trader in Northern Ireland.

You need to be careful with Done deal. Caravans are a magnet for scumbags trying to shift something dodgy.

There are a few reputable traders. You'll pay more but particularly for your first caravan, it might be worth the few extra quid

Buy a caravan with your nose. The biggest enemy and most costly to fix is damp. If it smells damp it's likely integral. If it smells too nice and particularly strong..they're likely hiding damp. A neutral or a light scent is what you want.

I could write a book in detail of the dos and don't

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

Our fist caravan was bought from one of the dealers in the newbridge area. We were happy with the deal and having viewed a few privately that were not in good condition we were also happy to up our budget from the original 3500 to 5k to get the one we liked. Had no issues with the caravan at all, and had 4 good years of use from it too. I did have to fix the seals in the water pump inlet as the pump was running constantly, we just used the switch to turn it off. In hindsight I just didn't know how it should work, so thought it was normal!

Sold that one privately when the family outgrew it and bought a different layout privately on donedeal. Again, was delighted with the layout and the deal and it served us really well, but i had more knowledge of how things were supposed to work and was more confident of not buying a lemon also having spent a few years using our first one.

Recently sold the second one to a family member as the bunks were getting a bit small for our kids so went a bit mad and bought a new one from a very nice dealer. Delighted with our most recent one also.

So - having experienced all of the ways to buy i would recommend any of them, but caveat the private route with you need to check really carefully for signs of damp. Don't buy with your heart, and if anything seems off figure out if you can fix it yourself. If its damp walk away, unless you love DIY and you ahve a lot of time on your hands.

Advertisement