Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witnesses - can we pull someone in off the street?

Options
  • 26-03-2022 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

We would like to get married in secret in a registry office. Do we have to give the names of witnesses beforehand or can we pull in any random person on the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Yep, you can literally pull two randomers in off the street, absolutely no requirement to name them in advance or even know them. Loads of couples just ask another couple in the registry office.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

I dont know for the church we had to give the witnesses before hand but they could be changed at the last minute. I wouldnt do it unless I knew the couple personally. Remember them sham marriages for passports that was going on with those Pakistani men a few years back? Be safe, remember if the registrar feels it is a sham marriage, he doesnt have to perform the ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 missie1234

I've looked at a few forms and they ask for names and date of births of witnesses

Hmm, they must have changed that so. You definitely used to be able to grab any two people to witness the marriage as long as they were over 18 and could understand the ceremony.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

While it is a romantic (movie-ish) idea who really wants to be pulled in off the street for this? Is the registry office still on Mount Street?? Most (well pre pandemic anyway) people walking there are people on their lunch break or going in and out off work - and likely don't have the time or inclination to be going in to witness some randomers wedding

Just food for thought...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

We went to Scotland about 35 years ago and got married in a registry office. I went outside and got some guy on the way to the laundrette.

I slipped him a few quid afterwards.

In fairness most people just asked another couple in the registry office, not *actual* randomers off the street.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

When you attend the appointment to fill in the paperwork, they do ask for the names of your witnesses. The witnesses can be changed on the day without any fuss though.

Personally I wouldn't leave it up to chance that you'll find 2 random witnesses on the day who'll have the time/inclination to do it. Is there a couple you can trust to bring in on the secret and be witnesses on the day?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yep I hear you! Just wanted to give my perspective and food for thought. Personally, if I was another couple in a reg office - whether getting married myself or guests of another wedding, I would not really be inclined to say yes to being pulled into another wedding. But that is just me! And again, just food for thought for the op!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Xander10

I know a couple who did. Got witnesses from the pub just down from that reg office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would reconsider this. I appreciate you wanting to keep it small but surely you want your parents and closest family there?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I read the thread title in a hurry, Jesus…

yes you can, my cousin had to when one of the witnesses was ‘unwell’ the morning of the wedding.

Advertisement