Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting spouse’s child?

Options
  • 26-03-2022 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

In Ireland if a person applies to adopt their spouse’s child does the spouse (the biological parent) also have to apply to adopt their own child?

it was conversation in work and it is strange but when I Google it it does seem to be the way it is done

Comments

Treoir have some good information on this topic that you may find helpful.

https://www.treoir.ie/information/step-parent-adoption-information/

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

I found that page when googling but it doesn’t air it clear for me.

”the biological parent of the child, also applying to adopt the child” - this means the biological parent has to adopt their own child but the page doesn’t seem to mention it again nor why it is necessary.

I remember reading a few years ago that the biological parent parent has to effectively give up their child and adopt again with the spouse. This page doesn’t say that but adopting their own child would suggest it like that.

It is definitey true that it used to be the case that in what used to be called "family adoption" both bio and step parent had to adopt the child, though now as a step-parent can apply without the bio parent also applying I assumed that had changed, but I am not 100% certain.

The first line does imply this:.

Step-parents can apply to adopt their spouse’s or partner’s child without the partner, who is already the biological parent of the child, also applying to adopt the child

If you contact Treoir directly, or Barnardos, they should be able to give you a more definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

I read that article more than once and each time I saw “Step-parents can apply to adopt their spouse’s or partner’s child with the partner…”

and I mean I 100% saw with not without.

I can’t for the life of me explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HeatherSan

It is something completely incomprehensible to me. Why would a biological parent adopt their child? After all, he is already a legally registered parent.

• Advertisement

It wasn't something they would choose to do, but something they had to do as part of the process if they wanted their spouse to formally adopt their children.

The process has now changed, and a step parent can apply to adopt without the bio parent also doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HeatherSan

I hope it makes the process easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

The reason for my question is also because of curiosity from a conversation and I didn’t want to start a thread since it isn’t for help with an actual adoption and is somewhat similar to the topic here.

If an Irish person is in a relationship with or marries a person with a child who is not an Irish National - say froM Eastern Europe - would the Irish person have to to adopt the child in that country or could it be done here in Ireland?

Advertisement