Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DMF appears 'seized'

• 27-03-2022 2:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

I am replacing the engine in 2007 A4 1.9Tdi for a friend.

He bought a second hand engine and it came with DMF still attached - no disc or pressure plate.

He would like to use the DMF as his own DMF had failed completely.

However when I was fitting the disc and pressure plate i realised that there was no movement in the DMF. Usually you find that the DMF will turn a little in both directions. But in this case there is absolutely no movement.

I know the engine had been out for some time - could it be seized up due to rust etc ?

I haven't come across this before and would welcome advice/opinion from forum members.

I don't want to put everything back until I feel it's behaving as it should.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭John.G

Maybe that's not a DMF, now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭mk7r

Can you see the springs to be sure it's not a solid flywheel conversion? The easiest thing is to just buy a new dmf really, it's not worth messing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Replace with a solid flyewheel.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

DMF was seized in the sense that it had turned so far that the bolts were partially covered - so I had to cut out some of the centre to access the flywheel bolts . I had come across a similar case a few years ago but had forgotten it.

Replaced with new DMF.

Thanks for replies .

Advertisement