Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biden mental state is just escalating the war in Ukraine - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The invasion and wasn’t anybody's fault aside from the Russians fault.

Gas prices are increasing due to demand and the approximately x% of that gas now being exported from the US to Europe.

the only conflict is Russia’s responsibility.. they stay their side of their border, no problem… but, they didn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

"or the robust oratory of Boris"

I did lol at this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

as i said in other threads (and i'm not trolling) he's just too old, simple as

America's oldest ever President and it shows, anytime i see him up there addressing the media i wish it was Clinton instead esp at this time of crisis

*Clinton in his prime may i add

Post edited by fryup on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Nah, it's not age per se. Sure he's 4 years older than trump, 10 years older than Putin. 16 years younger than the queen.

He does have some age related mental issues though, no doubt, that's slowing him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Heavans above, the man is no Teddy Roosevelt or FDR, but he's only a year into his term in office, and you have some absolute hams in the White House to assess.

On a foreign relations front, Nixon created an even greater long term geostrategic monster in China by throwing Taiwan under the bus. Sided with Pakistan against India in a security crisis as Islamabad was the back-channel for the China talks. India went nuclear off the back off it and it poisened relations with the world's largest democracy for half a generation. Pakistan eventually went nuclear as well.

Oil embargo from the OPEC states, and the Nixon shocks put Japan-US relations under deep strain, Vietnam blunders nearly led to Japan remilitarising only for Gerald Ford to cool matters during his term.

Paris Peace Accords unravelled under his watch, and the final capitulation of South Vietnam.

That's a lot of foreign policy howlers and I doubt Biden will ever do as much long term damage as that.

And that's just Nixon off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭DeadHand

@kirk.

It's unpleasantly weird the way you keep pinging me.

My point is, though the man is a disaster-zone domestically, he speaks well. I think he's come into his own over the Ukraine and presented a robust front. There is a contrast between his public performances and those of Biden when his handlers push him out onto a stage.

I understand that many would disagree with that assessment (preferably they could do so without being obsessive saddos about it). It remains a reasonable opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Never took any notice of you quoted you once I think

The only thing weird is you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭DeadHand

@kirk.

A consistent standard of posting (and English), at least.

Happy to leave it there since you have little to offer beyond "lol".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Cost of living and petrol were soaring before a Russian tank ever crossed into Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That doesn’t refute anything the poster just said. They didn’t mention inflation, or blame Russia for gas prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Heraclius

It would seem ridiculous to judge Biden on his handling of the Russian invasion of Ukraine until we know what the outcome is and even then to have a good assessment of the impact would take 20 years. It just isn't fair to judge either trump or Biden yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The incumbent is always 'the worst president ever' according to some sage. I always feel like asking these guys for a detailed compare & contrast between Biden/Trump/Obama and James Polk or Millard Fillmore...

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

He's pretty useless tbh.

You know things are bad, when practically every statement he makes needs to be explained qualified or clarified by his team of handlers. Like a 5 year old kid just blurting stuff out.

The "regime change" controversy is very interesting, considering we are being fed a ridiculous amount of propaganda about how great the Ukrainians are doing and how bad the Russians are doing. Yet Biden's remarks give an interesting window into the sense of panic in Washington around their lack of ability to control the situation.

In truth, this war has really shown up how little true power the US and Europe actually has. Other than a battery of fairly useless sanctions (which are harming the west quite a lot btw) and some even more useless tough talking rhetoric... they've pretty much got nothing else in the tool bag to influence this conflict in any meaningful way.

Privately, they know how powerful Putin is. Putin is the main reason that the west is struggling badly to convince the rest of the world to jump on board with these sanctions. And no amount of carefully crafted propaganda can cover up how weak the west is looking right now.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What do you want..World War Three?

Seems like that to me,my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

The power of Biden to 'F' things up (credit: Obama)

March 24th

Biden: "NATO has never, never been more united than it is today."

Reality:

Blundering Biden dribbles on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It's funny, I read about the "mess" that Biden made of the Afghanistan withdrawal. The fact he couldn't get his build back better bill through due to lack of support. The high covid cases and low take-up of vaccine in the us and now the war in Ukraine where apparently Putin was emboldened by weak leadership in the us. It's is hard to refute any of this narrative if you cannot speak about the other guy involved in these 4 issues. Biden picked up the tail end of these messes and I actually think his administration did and are doing a fine job cleaning them up.

He had to get the us out of Afghanistan, done.

Get a divided usa through a politicized covid disaster, done.

Pass legislation to rebuild and modernize aging infrastructure and attempt to reduce income inequality and bolster the working middle class against a republican party that will block vote on partisan lines with a Democrat majority of one in the Senate. I don't think this was ever possible but they are trying.

Stand up to Putin without engaging in a costly war. Rather than attempting to weaken and defund NATO like his predecessor, he has reiterated the us investment in international order. They have provided intelligence and aid which has kept Ukraine in this fight. They have not escalated the war, endangering us all. This is ongoing but I would say a success so far.

We are supposed to judge people based on action, I would say only a little over a year into his term, his administration have achieved a lot and they are certainly ambitious in the amount of work they are trying to get through. I think it's really pathetic to just hark on about a man's age or ability to public speak. I would say this presidency is more of a team effort anyway which is reassuring for me. A leader that delegates and builds a strong team is much preferable to a narcissistic strong man leader always.(x heads are better than one) For me he has achieved some success in 3/4 major issues above. Passing the build back better bill looks impossible but I commend them for trying, perhaps they can negotiate a watered down version.

I recommend the All Things Retro forum. There folks will find Mr. Mackie practicing nuke drills in the gymnasium.

Divided on the solutions is not divided on the problem. Good try though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

Just to continue on the idiotic unfounded claim by the OP and using that logic.

Biden's mental state made the Russians announce they will pull back their forces from the north.

So far his mental state is achieving DE-escalation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The Taliban took over when those troops went home. That wasn't meant to happen. Two decades and Trillions of dollars were lost. Total unmitigated failure.

Highest rates of inflation since the 1970's. Fail

America is currently deeply , deeply divided. Politically and socially. Fail

You mean poke the bear and threaten him with regime change? Doesn't matter if he meant it or not. It was said and can be used as Russian propaganda.

"For gods sake this man cannot remain in power."

Now Putin most likely won't even entertain the prospect of sitting down at a negotiating table any time soon, and he'll see any and all attempts by foreign governments to intervene, even in the smallest manner, as a potential threat to his regime. And he'll most likely stoop to any low to maintain power, including using nuclear and chemical weapons. Because in his mind, his and his regime's survival is on the line. Had the other guy said all that stuff the other day he'd have been ravaged and accused of triggering WW3. .. So .. another fail 🙂

You lost at me at ‘Taliban wasn’t meant to take over’

False:

GDP is the “best performance since 1984” (Reuters, 1/28/22)

Unemployment claims reached a 53-year low, best year for jobs since 1969.

Dow Jones is higher under Biden than any time in history. But that’s also like saying that the country is “politically divided.” The country is always politically divided. Die mad about it?

You’ve got the blind rabble rousing routine going great, declaring Russia won’t come to the negotiating table after Bidens remark when, they already have been resuming talks since you started fixating on those 9 words. “Fail.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Did his backers ever provide proofs whether he has he been tested for decline? If it is in the public interest

What on earth would give you the impression that this is a man who is not operating with full deck....of cheat cards 😁

If a POTUS uses notes, it's evidence of a mental decline? Since, when? Try to put some effort into it.

Aye it was Joe Bidens inability to align his gob with reality that forced the Russians to change tack

That's and impressive stretch of the imagination

Notes? Not only does he need the presubmitted press questions to be written down for him, he needs his answers to be written down for him too. Entirely normal sez you.

But isn’t that the entire argument of the OP: Bidens inability to align gob with reality, forces escalation of war.

Either an impressive stretch of the imagination or the exact argument you have been supporting. They aren’t the same lane though.

That's an accurate statement yes. I can give you plenty of precedents, but then you might fluster and accuse me of going off topic, so I'll keep it abstract. The former administrations press secretary for instance kept an entire binder full of such prepared answers to a whole spectrum of possible press related questions. I've certainly also seen Biden take plenty of 'unapproved' questions; anyone who has followed Doug Doocy in the WH Press Corp would be similarly aware. So, I'm not precisely sure when exactly your remark about resubmitted questions has applied. It is however worth noting that in the previous administration, there was a long streak of press conferences where POTUS only took questions that were preapproved from one reporter in the Press Corps, who was there practically by special appointment: One America News Network. At no time, do I recall the POTUS' mental capacity being challenged by way of their having written down prepared responses, or calling upon particular questioners. Thus I don't see why it applies now. I do not see how this evidences mental decline, as though no normal person has ever used a flash card before.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

I remember Kayleigh McEnany referring to a large binder with specific points about policy and she used it to quote back press headlines and articles verbatim in response to specific questions on a wide range of historical and current issues.

Biden needed a cue card for single sentence answers to the two most pertinent questions about his recent lapses in concentration: 'I was expressing moral outrage, not a change in policy' and 'NATO has never been so united'. That is a concern.

• Advertisement

My goodness, its scary this man has the nukes, when you see the tough talking points

Again, this is nothing new, not to make this about the previous guys mental capacity:

Was this cue card worthy or would you be able to remember that?

Maybe being POTUS involves a lot of multitasking, with an emphasis on communicating all manner of things.

If we are reduced to comparing Biden with a guy who talks like a 12 year old then things must be worse than we thought. Trump is completely incapable of expressing complex thoughts, everything is just one slogan or rant after another. The Twitter character count was tailor made for people like him. I would have no problem questioning Trump's mental capacity, or at the very least his ability to express it.

While it all makes good fodder for schadenfreude I don’t see how any of the discussion is useful as it pertains to diagnosing a patient we do not have access to, nor the qualifications to do so. See also the Goldwater Rule.

It was mentioned all the time during Reagan's second term and there was even talk in the White House on whether they should consider invoking the 25th amendment. Staff said he appeared to be walking around in a fog and had little interest in the details of the job, forgot who people were and sometimes fell asleep during briefings. I distinctly remember it being talked about quite openly.

I get the same sense from Biden, he sometimes seems as if he's walking around in a fog. That's just an observation, not an attempt to diagnose someone. Just like the manager in a company can tell who is on top of their workload and who is scattered and unfocused, needing constant direction. It's extremely rare for managers to call in psychiatrists to tell them whether their common sense assessment of competency is actually diagnostic. That seems to be just a diversionary tactic to close down discussion of it.

25A was seriously discussed within Trumps own cabinet too, even Lindsay Graham reportedly pushed for it on January 6. But 25A was also discussed, in the public, because Obama wore a tan suit.

Frankly the whole discussion is diversionary, which is why the Goldwater Rule came to be. This leaves only armchair psychiatrists who double as experts in international wars and celebrity slapping, so the worth of the discussion is severely debased.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I see we're back to baseless claims about a 'mental decline' because someone *checks notes* checks his notes.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel in emphatic style, lads.

The problem isn't that he has notes, it's what happens when he doesn't have notes.

For example, when asked when children under 12 would be able to get vaccinated his response was:

“That’s under way just like the other question that’s illogical, and I’ve heard you speak about it because y’all, I’m not being solicitous, but you’re always straight up about what you’re doing. And the question is whether or not we should be in a position where you uh um, are why can’t the, the, the experts say we know that this virus is in fact uh um uh is, is going to be, excuse me.”

He told US troops they would see people protesting against tanks when they go to Ukraine.

When asked what would they would do if Putin used chemical weapons he said they would respond 'in kind'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

First he says he'll use chemical weapons s if Russia does, then he tells US troops they'll be invading, then he openly states that Putin has to go.

Hey @MakersMark, how about you come back to the thread and back up your initial claims rather than just letting them sit there hoping gullible idiots will see them and take them as facts?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Actually I feel sorry for the likes of you who has to resort to very serious conditions in order to justify your own bias because you have absolutely nothing to nail him on.

Six months before the election Biden was smoking all of the top Democrats in debates and in even less time he was smoking Trump as well, despite everyone here saying the opposite would happen.

Biden truly exposed that other than **** soundbites, Trump was f*ck all.

Republicans threw their best guy at Biden and he got walloped, and I’d be confident Biden would do the same to any other Republican today.

Yes, he’s older than he was, but to talk about ‘serious mental decline’ is to insult those who experience serious mental decline and their families.

My grandmother went through a ‘serious mental decline’. Within weeks she couldn’t remember my name even if you reminded her. A number of weeks following that, she thought I was trying to rob her, and I had to leave because even when I told her who I was, she didn’t believe me.

Don’t come into this thread and throw baseless accusations around about dementia or whatever just because you think you have a god given right to. If Biden was in a ‘serious mental decline’ for the last six months it would be a lot more f*cking more obvious than someone who has to carry a few f*cking notes.

Before any of the trolls get on here, yes I am angry, and I have every right to be watching some of you make baseless accusations all for a few giggles while many families around this country have to deal with what a real decline looks like, and it’s f*cking painful.

There's dementia on one side of my family going back at least three generations and what you define as 'serious mental decline' is a lot more acute than the typical, more gradual cases. And it can develop in quite sudden stages where one week they are able to function relatively normal and the next week they struggle to recognise family members. It usually starts with not being able to recall everyday words for things, changes in mood, confused answers to questions, repeating things they said minutes or hours earlier. That can go on for a couple of years before it is diagnosed as an actual decline rather than the natural tailing off of memory as people age.

Indeed when I feel I may feel sorry for Biden I remember all the morally gruesome things he is responsible for

No, he was very poor already in the debates, incoherent at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

My mother's the same age as Biden, I cant imagine her doing any job, let alone something as stressful as leader of the free world. She is forgetful, gets anxious over simple things, and gets tired a lot. Standard things at that age.

Point is there should absolutely be an upper age limit on the role of US President. 65 would be a figure I'd suggest.

• Advertisement

Someone hasnt been following current events...

It's more of a case that Biden telling troops that they'll see the Bravery of the Ukranians "when you're there" is in NO WAY an indication that America intend sending troops or could be interpreted as that

or

When asked what he would do if the Russians used chemical weapons, responding that he would respond "in kind" could in NO WAY be an indication that he would use similar retaliatory methods or could be interpreted as that.

or

saying that "For the love of God, he can not remain in power" was in NO WAY him saying that Putin can not remain in power despite them being his exact words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

So this post was made three days ago and the claims made in the post i.e.

First he says he'll use chemical weapons s if Russia does, then he tells US troops they'll be invading

Have been proven to be false. When the OP was asked to provide proof they didn't. So the whole premise for the thread is false and therefore pointless.

I think it’s best if people stop bringing up trump in this thread. Surely the moderators advised as such

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

"Biden was smoking all of the top Democrats in debates and in even less time he was smoking Trump as well"

That's too much. Nobody "smoked' anybody. Those debates were a shitshow, entirely down to Trump. Biden for the most part stood aside and let him talk, and that's all he had to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement