Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for a tree for pots similar to a Bay Leaf

Options
  • 27-03-2022 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi,

I built a patio area down the back of my house and am looking to add some large pots to contain trees. I am looking for suggestions something similar to a Bay Leaf but something that would be hardy as the area is quite exposed and gets very cold during the winter months.

Any suggestions be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Something like Vibernum davidii is hardy and evergreen with fairly insignificant but scented flowers in early spring and berries later in the year.

Like a number of other shrubs - cotoneaster salicifolius for example - it can be trained into a 'tree' by encouraging a single sturdy stem then taking off all side shoots and keeping the top trimmed to shape. Lonicera nidita is another that will oblige, though it has small leaves like a box.

Advertisement