Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Coverage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

In every league in the world it's the league that decides which games are ultimately broadcast regardless of which format or TV station are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I dont think €10 a game is actually to bad you would spend 20 plus to get in the gate

If GAAGO was brought to the same streamming level as other OTT services or even slightly improved i would buy a season pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It is bad value if the service is a one or two camera setup with little or no production values/analysis. Let's wait and see but can't see it being anywhere near the standard of other sport streaming services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think you hit nail-on-head for how it’ll be, and they’ll still charge the €10 for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dohboy

The split season and this TV deal shows the GAA want to downgrade the inter-county game as it's got too big for its boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭lertsnim

There has to be some kind of season pass for these GAA Go games.

That's pay per view which was the whole argument thrown at the Sky deal.... "How will the loyal club members watch all the matches/it should be free to air etc etc etc."

It's pay per view if paying per game or paying for all of them in one package. It would be a good incentive to have a package with all games at a lower cost.

How is it good to pay for this but it was bad to pay for Sky? What happened to the argument about the proverbial auld lad "great clubman" in Mayo who can't watch games any more on free tv and shouldn't have to pay?

At the end of the day there'll be nearly 50% more matches next season in the football championship alone, while the number of televised games is being cut by 31%. Massive step back in coverage. There's going to be plenty of "big games" next season behind the GAA Go paywall or not available at all. Can't wait for the uproar as there was with Sky.

Post edited by namloc1980 on

Those who complained about Sky will be happier, in theory, to pay a tenner for a single game knowing the money is going to the GAA/county board etc. That said they will have to settle for crappier production values and potentially unreliable streaming.

I don't see how GaaGo will appeal to the older/computer illiterate generation either, over Sky. Much handier for them to have Sky than fiddling with a streaming service.

• Advertisement

Sky are gone. Sky decided to go. There is no point debating the pros and cons. May aswell be talking about TV3 as they also had those games before Sky but they're gone too.

And nowhere did I say paying for GAA Go was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Can't understand how a private company not based in this country cannot be made to show these (relatively obscure in world terms) sports - it's a disgrace Joe.

I'm no fan of Sky, but either way they are no longer relevant to this discussion imho.

I can see why the GAA would want to control the broadcasting of their games, bring it in house so to speak. In many ways, TV (both terrestrial and satellite) are old tech, streaming and online is where it's at now and where its going. It makes sense for the GAA to cut out the middle man as much as possible stragetically and control the coverage of the games themselves.

Let's see how it pans out and where it's at by the end of this deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But the money was always going to the GAA.

Sky paid the GAA for the rights.

Now it's just going straight to the GAA, they have to supply the platform but they also get the revenue.

While I get what you're saying about streaming being the new tech, the latency/delay is massive compared to over the air or satellite. GAA Go is at least a minute behind the live action. Plus the stream quality is very poor, especially for hurling. Hopefully they'll put money into it to improve the quality but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭howiya

Cutting out the middleman is a huge financial risk for the GAA. I wouldn't be confident that the revenue from streaming will replace the lost income from a second broadcaster.

Maybe they're hoping gate receipts will improve too for matches that are streamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

it seems that the move to GaaGo for the sky package wasnt their first option and they were not planning on expanding GaaGo so soon.

But, dont forget, this is not soccer. Tv rights are NOT the main income of the organisation. I saw in various accounts that theres about €35 million of central gate reciepts and my reading about 15million of provincial championships. Thats 50 million of gate reciepts.

That compares with 14million for all media income so RTE/ Sky/ TG4/ BBC/ radio. If sky is 1/3 of that (my random figure plucked out of the air) then thats a shade under 5 million.

So, next year without sky and before taking into account any GaaGo increases, they might have about 60million rather than 64 million of joint gate and media income. I am not sure that the association is under huge financial risk by now having to make up the difference through GAAgo.

If it works it works. If it doesnt, there 2 to 5 million Euro less in grants given out. The organisation wont go bust over the lack of sky or the lack of success of GaaGo. Its a bit of an unplanned experiment but nothing to be too alarmed about

I know what you're saying up to a point, but in real terms how much of an issue is the latency when you're watching a game?

I watch streamed games all of the time, personally I don't mind it. Maybe if you're on twitter getting info from people at the game, or watching on a different medium (TV), or gambling on the live action, it's an issue, but personally I don't see a problem (maybe it's just me)

Like, TV coverage itself is almost instant, but it's not fully instant either, there is a slight lag.

The big games that will be on GAAGo will they not have full RTE production anyway as these will be shown on the sunday game Highlights or league sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭howiya

I agree that it won't be the be all and end all financially just pointing out that the middleman serves a purpose.

Guaranteed income up front, production costs by that party versus waiting to see how many people hit the subscribe button

Well this is it. The Sky deal was all about the optics really, and how bad they appeared to some folk."'A foreign broadcaster! British (hack, spit) even! Taking our games!" Persumably those people will be happier now, probably paying more, for a poorer service, in the short to medium term anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

In my opinion, forget about ‘lags’ and all that.

The most important thing in the mix is the quality of the product.

People are used to HD and it’s variants and won’t pay money generally speaking for second rate product.

GAA would be very un savvy if they didn’t see this, and they are a savvy bunch by and large.

Do they even have an app for televisions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

no, just for the roku box in the US

As it is now you need to cast to a chromecast or apple tv, which is fine in principle but towards the end of last season that wouldnt work for me with live streams. I think stuff from the archive did work.

Anyhow, an app would be the business all right and save all that messing. Surely its not that difficult. The only logic in there is basically a login and then a link to the live or archive stream. The website is not much more than one page/ screen, and the app would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

What’s this bleedin muppet Kilkenny doing speaking in irish on the all stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Yes, how dare someone speak in their native language. Off to the gallows with him!

Ger Gilroy put the boot in to RTE & The Sunday Game on the Hard Shoulder this evening. According to Him sky was far better as was BBC compare to rte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yet fellas from counties with actual Gaeltacht regions didn't indulge in such showmanship.

Well, he's certainly an impartial commentator 😒

He might be right, but then again he has skin in the game.

That must have been awful for you, thoughts and prayers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I do think that a monopoly isn't healthy and RTE essentially have 1 now and RTE's sports coverage not just GAA has regressed in the last decade, seems to me its happened since Ryle Nugent left and Declan McBennett took over.

Advertisement