Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That's a big problem with the TV coverage across all these sports.

The pundits are there just to fill time between the ads, and to Stoke up a bit of fury on social media. There is no time for any nuance and indeed many watching won't appreciate it anyway, they only want to hear about getting stuck in and intensity and stiff like that.

Podcasts are the only medium that can dedicate enough time for in depth stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Good, that Bord Gais ad is like something a marketing agency in D4 conjured up to represent a typical GAA fan.

It's painful!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Jesus Joanne Cantwell is really painful. Saying with absolute certainty that Kilkenny and Limerick haven't contested an all Ireland since 1973 when they've done it as recently as 2007. If someone else got a fact like that wrong she would be the first to jump down their throat about it. There surely has to be a better anchor than her. And Des on the Sunday game is past his sell by date too. Would love to see Jacqui Hurley given a crack at either of them tbh

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_All-Ireland_Senior_Hurling_Championship_Final#:~:text=The%202007%20All%2DIreland%20Senior,%E2%80%9319%20to%201%E2%80%9315.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I’d be much more interested in getting bell whiffs like Fitzmaurice and perhaps Cusack and maybe Jacob off the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Ursula Jacob dropping the feminist defence when the reality is she's just quite a poor pundit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I actually think she’s a good pundit, makes a lot of fair points and doesn’t have the need for attention some pundits do.

All that said, if you go on TV you have to accept criticism, some of it unfair and personal. It’s just the way it is, there’s no point in complaining about it.

What is she complaining about, people on Twatter complaining about her?

Really can't understand this TBH, why is she using the platform if she isn't happy with others voicing their poisonous shite on it.

Twitter is poison, really can't understand why so many high profile people still use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Enough is enough is right, they need to get rid of her. And she thinks it's her accent and not her glass shattering voice? Jaysus her voice would go through ya.

I'm sorry ursula, but it is tokenism. Just like Cora Staunton shouldn't be there either, she's another horrible pundit. And yes there's men who shouldn't be there either but they don't go whinging in twitter when they get stick! There's a good lady pundit from Dublin who doesn't get stick because she's actually good at what she does!

I wouldn't compare her to Staunton at all.

AFAIK, Jacob didn't use her profile to undermine and falsely blacken the character of an intercounty coach following a personality clash.

Staunton has no place having a highly paid profile on the national broadcaster given her record imho.

Accents and tone of voice don't annoy me personally, even though some in here seem triggered by them - the content of the person's contribution is of more interest to me anyway.

Tough, it's RTE so you're facing 20 years of Joanne Cantwell, I agree Jacqui Hurley would be worth a try, but not going to happen! I just turn the sound off now at half time and change channel straight after the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I feel sorry for the female pundits, at the end of the day it is pure tokenism. It is trending across all sports coverage over the last few years. I would much prefer to hear the opinion of an intercounty hurler or footballer who has cut their teeth in big championship matches at the end of a season that matters. Throwing a random female presenter in there to appease people, who actually have less interest in the game, is not benefitting anyone.

I am not being sexist either, I would feel the same about Setanta Ó'Hailpin talking garbage over a Camogie final.

At the end of the day the TV audience deserve better than sitting through analysis or punditry from a presenter who is only there to suit an agenda. I don't like it and I hope I am not coming across as being sexist either.

As I mentioned earlier it is a wider issue than just the GAA, it is happening now across all sports and I don't feel it is benefitting genuine fans.

I had to google who Ursula Jacob is. It is not her fault either, I am sure she is giving it her best.

Yeah the trend everywhere now is to tick the box.

Skysports ruined soccer Saturday when they got rid of all the lads everyone loved in favour of diversity.

The whole "can't see it can't be it" is the biggest sham going. Its a scam for benefits and platforms for people who don't deserve it on the promise of a future return.

Who did Katie Taylor or Leona Maguire see on TV when they were growing up? Can girls not be inspired by men?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Tbh I think RTE need to prepare people for this. If you go on the Sunday Game people are going to criticise you. A lot.

In the last few weeks Dowling and Jacobs seem to be taken aback that they’re getting abuse. It really should have been made clear to them that such abuse is guaranteed to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭cute geoge

imo both Ger canning and Kevin Mcstay's commentry was a disgrace today ,they were both showing bias towards Dublin they then trew a fit that Sean O shea should have been red carded ,what a shower of fools !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The Sunday Game only going to start now, because of Women's Euro 2022. How many have interest in that or know any of the players ? Surely a waste of TV time.

It was highly disrespectful from Canning to say during the parade "it's the All Ireland Final in all but name". Probably the most disgraceful thing I've ever heard a main commentator say on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭I says

Spillane made yesterday all about himself announcing his retirement before any other business. Considering a Tailteann final and a semi final were the real entertainment. Cantwell tries to be the smartest in the room she’d strip paint at 50 yards. Her contempt for the tailteann cup was as obvious as the nose on her face. As for jacobs and dowling on the respective panels who gives a fig. I want unbiased panelist’s something that’s in very short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Yeah I picked up on it straight away,couldn't believe it was said by someone going out on the National Broadcaster......you could see it said by some lad at local radio level.

RTE is such a den of politics once you get on the panel there you are safe for years ad nauseum. Joanne Cantwell obviously has some serious dirt on someone high up in RTE as the mind boggles as to why she took over the Michael Lyster role otherwise (and thats leaving aside the whole gender imbalance thing)....Jacqui Hurley is streets ahead of her.

Personally I think Dara Ó Cinneide would be excellent in the main presenter role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

They were brutal, Canning set the tone calling it the final in all but name during the parade, McStay calling for a red for that incident was laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

The Joanne hate is amusing. Michael Lyster was a dry enough anchor. Nothing special about him. The way people eulogise about him is like the way the older generation speak about Micheal O'Hehir. Who hadn't a clue when you listen back to old games. It could be a 30 metre free in football in the middle of a game and he'd say 'I wonder will he be content with a point!

My thought on Staunton, Jacob, Noelle Healy and Joanne🙂

'Come mothers and fathers

Throughout the land

And don't criticize

What you can't understand

Your sons and your daughters

Are beyond your command

Your old road is rapidly agin'

Please get out of the new one

If you can't lend your hand

For the times they are a-changin'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I actually have less of an issue with a female anchor to be fair. Most anchors are basically presenters whose job it is to coordinate the waffle and other relative analysis. Joanne Cantwell has lots of experience. She mightn't know the difference between Rule 42 and Hayes hotel, but she knows the colour of the cue card, you kind of need that on a busy afternoon.

Where was Brolly? He is gas chunt altogether, we need characters on our television sets?

I often enjoy the women's doubles in the second week of wimbledon, usually over a few early evening cans. And yes your quite right, that is exactly what I am doing. Something about white cotton miniskirts and twentysomething women hugging each other after each point gets me tingling. I reckon that is the real reason Boris Becker got into commentating. His German wit and mid point insight was sadly missed this year, he is a phucking legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Thank JYsus Fitzmaurice was ‘paneled’ on yesterdays game, couldnt have listened to that drone for 70+ minutes.

McStay made a constant thing second guessing every call from the referee. If it was yellow, it should have been red, if a free should have been black etc..

Seemed to have an axe to grind, him living in Roscommon and the referee from out the road, wouldn't be surprised if there is a history there

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Every game of the tournament live on RTE. Beyond belief.

Cheap tv rights and RTE can take the moral high ground for giving womens sports coverage.

People can never accept that some think certain female pundits/hosts are shite at their job.

Any time you criticise a woman on here you're told you only say that because they're a woman.

Cantwell is wooden and lacks charisma. She can follow the autocue but she's like a primary school teacher giving lessons to her class.

There's loads of women hosting/doing punditry on sports that are excellent at it, the likes of Kelly Cates on Sky for the football, Hazel Irvine for the snooker, Sue Barker for the tennis, Clare Balding for athletics/olympics/anything. Even Grainne McElwain on the Sky coverage of the GAA is quite good.

He knows his stuff. Very insightful on Galway v Derry.

He'd pin point the second Derry would try break the press. He read the ref like a book on frees he'd give. Gentleman too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Didn't he also at some point compare it to the first semifinal, and say he was asleep after 20 mins.

It is all a bit disrespectful. No need for cheap digs, just commentate on the game in front of you.

Very few have interest, bug it's cheap and is probably a part of the bigger rights package for the soccer, similar to the rugby six nations. . If it encourages girls to take up and play whatever sport, then so what, let them off

Don't let it annoy you I'd say, don't turn it in if it doesn't appeal to you.

Re female pundits, there are good ones and bad ones, same as the lads really. The likes of Lisa Fallon is excellent, she would cancel out the likes of Staunton who is a pain in the teeth. The real saviour is the remote control lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Treble double

He is some clown, he is commentating on GAA games for over 30 years and still has no feel for them. Those comments re one semi final being the final and falling asleep through the other one are totally un professional.

There is set narratives in the Gaa that are stuck too no matter what the evidence is before your eyes.

After watching Kerry Dublin I felt it was entertaining but littered with poor decision making and bad wides. The gushing in the media after in relation to the game made me doubt myself so I re watched it and confirmed that it was indeed exciting but littered with poor decisions and bad wides.

Advertisement