Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the area around the Garavogue river

Options
  • 27-03-2022 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys

Does anyone live around the Garavogue area, specifically Doorly Park or Garavogue Villas? We are thinking about buying in the area and were wondering what it is like to live there from a local's POV? It looks to me like a really nice area and it is right beside the river. Houses go on sale there from time to time and we are in a position now to afford something in the price range they tend to go for.

The attraction for us is being so close to the center of town with lots of shops and schools a 5-10 min walk away (Dunnes, Aldi and Lidl) plus the lovely walking area along the river to take the dogs every day.

Would love to hear about it from anyone who knows the area. Is there any problems with crime or is it generally safe?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Westport Covies

Couple of years since we lived around there..

I don't know if it was our house in particular, but we found it impossible to heat.. fine size back garden tho..

Can't fault the location as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Grew up around that area myself. Someone else might have more up to date info, but they are/were planning to build a ridiculous looking bridge across the river from the bottom of doorly park with a big road going up through the green areas currently there, so look into that and talk to someone from the council before buying. If you Google "Sligo eastern bridge" you'll see some pictures of it. I've no idea how it will affect the area in terms of traffic.

Garavagoue villas is, for the most part, fine. I wouldn't mind living in certain areas there. The houses across from the fire station are grand. The ones around the fairy fort at the top of Garavogue are fine too and literalIy 30 seconds from the river, but they have smaller back gardens. I wouldn't live in what the locals call the "horseshoes" (2 cul-de-sacs around the fort) for free. Couple of families in each ruin it for the decent folks with the drug dealing and general loutish behaviour.

The area around the river really is lovely and they've done a lot of work there in the last decade adding new paths and lighting. Overall I think it's a nice place for families with everything you need nearby, but the eastern bridge plan could potentially be a disaster for the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Once works start on the "Sligo eastern bridge" it'll be a very different area from what it is now, at least until that is complete & settled.

(Hope it helps explain why more affordable house prices are poping up for sale in that area)

My advise is do alot more homework before you by anything in that area (Also visit area of any potential house, both day & night hours)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Samba88

Thanks for the replies. I was unaware of the bridge plans. I think we'll have to rule doorly park out due to that. I found some plans on google and it looks like it is set to become a major road and act as a town bypass for a lot of traffic. Not worth the hassle.

We'll keep our eyes on Garavogue villas and some other areas along the river. 👍️

Advertisement