Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too late to move a tree ?

Options

Comments

Why?. Would assume the root stock is almost the size of the tree. A lot of spade work or a mini digger. Even with the best timing and care its gonna take a big hit. And the roots from the hedging behind will be a massive pain too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed, would not pay €100 for it. Owner wants rid for some reason, they should be glad that someone is willing to go to the expense of hiring a digger (and driver) and find a way of transporting it, then have a huge dug ready to accommodate it. Then stake it and water it all through the summer and hope it takes.

And yes, it is getting too late to move it, though that is the least of considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Trees sold by professional plant nurseries will have been moved regularly so the roots are not after spreading too extensively or there are specific root pruning machines used to keep the roots concentrated near the trunk so the plants are easier to move. If the plant for sale from someones garden has been growing there for a number of years the roots will be after stretching far in to the surrounding soil making a successful transplant fairly difficult and very likely to fail. Much better in my opinion to just get a professionally grown specimen of what you are looking to grow. Just checked the price list of a nursery close to where I live and a root balled (ready to put in the ground) red robin at 150 to 175cm height is for sale for 20euros. A specimen grown to be a single trunk standard could be even more expensive but 100euros at a professional nursery would go a long way to getting a plant with much better chance of successfully settling in your garden for far less work. If it was me wanting to grow a red robin in my own garden I'd prefer to get something a bit smaller for much less money and just give it a bit more time to settle in as the red robin is relatively quick growing anyway. I have a few growing and the ones I got at a taller size actually got wind damaged so some smaller ones I planted settled in more quickly.

Happy gardening!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I have to admire the optimism of the person who offered €75 on condition of being able to get it into their car, despite the ad stating it's 9 foot tall. Were they going to dig it up and then refuse to take it if it didn't fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Just buy one from a nursery. That's a ridiculous price for a tree you have to go and dig up yourself with no knowing how the moving will go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CantCatchCovid

I agree with the digging up part but if that was in a pot it'd be 500e in a nursery.

A van could be rented for 14e a hour ,

Good deal if your willing to put in some graft!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its only a good deal if it survives!

Ah in fairness red robin is like the terminator .

the address of that tree is on adverts. you can see it on google earth.

It could be cut back hard for transport.

You can also have a tree like that in no time by buying a smaller tree at much less cost, inconvenience, or uncertainty. They're not an expensive plant and easy to bring on yourself in no time.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what you find so funny about it only taking 4 years. Gardening in not instant and the joy is often is seeing your planting or sowing mature. But you go ahead and spend over the odds for a tree that won't settle in properly after transplanting for several years.

Jim,

Relax will you. you said "bring on in no time", 4 years isn't no time in anyone's book.

You must by all your trees in aldi if you think a tree that size for 100e is "over the odds".

And your showing your ignorance if you think it wouldn't survive a transplant.

Most trees you see for sale in nurseries were grown in fields and moved into pots for transport/sale.

I've personally moved 10/15 trees and never had one die. In fact im moving a weeping cherry later.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Advertisement