Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of contract

Options
  • 28-03-2022 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

Slightly confused by this. My vodafone broadband and tv contract ends tomorrow, Ive signed upto eir. Will i still carry on getting charged by vodafone after the contract finishes automatically as i am having great difficulty getting through to their cancellation team over the phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

The contract won't finish automatically, the promotion, if any, will stop and you will get charged regular price. You need to give them cancellation notice (1month if I'm not wrong) as per the terms and conditions.

I cancelled my contract last month, so i called the customer services and then they will have someone in the cancelation team call you back. It's a crap system...

For vodafone i usually call close to 9 am and wait until someone picks it up. If you start calling at 8.58 or so you should be able to get through to someone faily quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 martyhogan

Thanks Gi,

I was told this by eir support earlier.

'I can see the order was done with the UAN number once the eir account goes active the Vodaphone broadband service will be terminated.'

So even though the vodafone service will be terminated i would still need to ring vodafone even though i am out of contract with them and provide them with a 30 day notice to avoid charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I would assume so, now I'm not sure... I've always terminated before switching.

Same thing when i switched electricity providers, I've always terminated before switching.

I am open to correction though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Do you mind if I ask why you went from Vodafone to Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 martyhogan

Because their customer service is best in class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

I switched from Vodafone to Eir a little over a year ago because I had had such a bad time with Vodafone's customer service. The fact is they're all as bad as each other and I'm no better off, except that I'm now paying more for the same slow broadband.

When I switched Eir said my speeds would improve and there'd be no interruption to my broadband. I had five days with no internet at all and then things continued exactly as they had been with Vodafone.

I would cancel the Vodafone payment through the bank rather than through their customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

If it was VF mobile, you would need to cancel directly, but as it seems to be landline and Eir have switched it to their billing, the cancellation should be part of that switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

When switching electricity providers, the switching process automatically terminates your previous service, same with mobile phones. I've never had a problem and I switch electricity & gas providers every year.

The risk you are taking by terminating before switching (electricity or broadband) is that if there are any delays/issues with your new provider, you could loose service for a time. I would rather risk paying an extra month broadband than loosing service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Notmything

You're in for a shock.

Vodafone's cs are bad but still far better than eir imo. I have found Vodafone very good to deal with on twitter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

Nope. I'm in a very rural spot, as far as I know there are no plans to bring fibre out this far. Eir knew this, of course, when they claimed I would get better speeds and more reliable broadband if I switched to them.

I can't run a smart heating system properly at the moment because the internet is so unreliable. I have Nest security cameras that are effectively dummy cameras, for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Sweet jaysus.... Eir have to be the most incompetent shower of useless knobs I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. Seriously, you have 14 days to change your mind and I'd really really really advise you do so.

Been with Digiweb twice and both times their customer support has been excellent even if they are a little more expensive it's worth it not to have to have the stress of having the same conversation over and over with Eir CS and them still getting it totally wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

i am due to end 12 month contract with Pure FTTH, am going to switch to Eir or Vodafone as Pures price will go up substantially

Will Eir be able to connect me on the last day of the Pure contract, since it should just be a matter of remotely switching me on ? Ideally cant have any drop in service due to WFH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

I just learned an expensive (well, €46) about Eir. You need to give them 30 days notice when moving to another provider - even when out of contract.

I change broadband every year and maybe I've just been lucky upto now but I have never been charged this before. I assumed that once you are out of contract that you can leave when you like.

So I just got charged a full months rental because I didn't contact them after 11 months and tell them I was leaving when my 12 months was up. Its probably in the Ts & Cs like they say but its a sneaky way to give you a kick up the arse on the way out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jos22

time we switched from Eir to VF out of contract, I told Vodafone I wanted to avoid overlap, they were able to set it up, last bill with eir was part bill for the 2 of 4 weeks of the month and then Vodafone bill took over,

we made no contact with Eir and gave no notice. VF said they look after it.

the following month we got a bill from eir, saying the account was in credit, so we request the refund and got a cheque in the post a month later.

odd thing the following month we got an other bill from EIR tells me the I Owed 0 euros on my closed account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jos22

Vodafone were able to that for me, when we switched from Eir, they were able to fix so I had part billing period with Eir and part bill/full month with them

akka first bill with Vodafone was for 5 weeks instead of 4,

This has been bugging me since my conversation with Eir so I did something nobody probably ever does i.e. read the Ts & C's 😀.

This is what I found:

"Outside of the Initial Period Customers who wish to terminate for the purposes of changing service provider will not have to pay a termination charge."

More complaining to Eir on the way....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Do a bit of research on eir before your opt-out period ends... it may be to your short term advantage not to cancel...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,555 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Why do you change provider every year? Do you give your current provider the chance to match or reduce their out of special offer period?

In relation to service etc, one you have no issues or problems (which is the case for the vast majority of people) the level of customer service doesn't really come into it.

I'd shop around for BB and a number of other services annually, electric, car, home, health insurances etc and usually find that when given the opportunity the incumbent supplier will at the very least match or often better the best price you have been offered elsewhere.

To the OPs question, generally you need to give written or verbal notice that you are cancelling your BB subscription with the incumbent. Usually 30 days notice is required.

I did the merry dance with Virginmedia every year for about 6 years trying to get them to match prices with other providers. Same old dingdong every year, wasting time on the phone, being put on hold, waiting for supervisor approval etc etc. Nowadays I just go to Bonkers and it's all done in 5 mins and another 2 mins to change the new router when it arrives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement