Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple tree in pot care

Options
  • 28-03-2022 3:27pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Picked up a mini Apple tree (will only grow to 2m tall max), re-planted into a 55 litre pot in some John Innes #3. Tree is suitable for a pot.

The info leaflet with it suggests thorough watering during dry weather in year 1, reducing the number of fruit to about 6 in year 1, and also feeding in march-ish time with some slow release fertilizer.

I really don't want this to die, so:

1. How often should I water in weather like what we have had this weekend? Every couple of days?
    2. When should I be reducing the fruit on the tree? Obviously at the moment the tree is still totally bare, so now is not the time.
    3. Is this slow release fertilizer in addition to the John Innes #3 it's planted in? If so, any suggestions on what to use?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Water if the surface of the compost is dry. Reduce the fruit in early to mid July. The feed is in addition to the John Innes. Any general fertiliser will do, or pelleted chicken manure.

Advertisement