Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRC Government of Ireland Postgrad/Postdoc 2022

Options
  • 28-03-2022 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I don't see another discussion on this up here so I decided to start one to see if anyone else is waiting to hear from the IRC. I got an email a few weeks ago saying I got through to the second round stage. Hopefully, we will hear this week with a further update from the IRC. Is anyone waiting and not being very productive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Choose

Post edited by Choose on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PlacedDice

I'm the same. Hoping they will let us know this week but not counting on it. Last year sounded very stressful so hopefully won't be so bad this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fourst

I just received an unsuccessful application email there.... :( best of luck to the rest of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PhD AHSS

Anyone else in AHSS placed on the reserve list?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JJDub358

Yes - I was placed on the reserve list. And now more waiting :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 pik1982

I got an outright "thanks but no thanks" - back in Feb.

I'm now waiting for the feedback, as my score wasn't at all that bad...I was expecting it to be tough but it still was quite a blow to the confidence, especially since the application took a lot out of me after an already difficult PhD completed through a pandemic. Feedback will help so much - I can't imagine how stressed you must be if you're waiting on the outcome and have made it to the final stage. Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PhD AHSS

I guess we might never hear anything after being placed on the reserve list. It all depends on if everyone accepts their offers. So tough getting so close but not close enough.

If you look at the comments from the last few years, it is clear that the bar for acceptance is rising steadily. This year, only scores 94+ were granted the award while in previous years it was 92+ or even 90+. It seems like an impossible uphill battle. I hope you get feedback that's constructive. After the hours and hours of work we put into those applications it's literally the least they can do. Best of luck to you for next year and beyond - the PhD is no joke!

😓Indeed. I had no idea it was this high. I got IRC funding for my PhD but had to decline back then - it took an age to get the PhD back on the road, and completed. The postdoc scores are absurd - why would anyone bother at all, since the application process is - in my case at least - hours and hours of unpaid labour. I hope the feedback reflects some weird thing like wrong choice of institution for the project, or something like that rather than a major critique of my actual research, but one never knows with these things as everything is so hush hush and anonymous. Best of luck to all who are still hoping/waiting/praying for a good outcome. 🙏👊

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Albox postdoc

Hi All!

Thanks for opening such a useful discussion here! Anyone was placed in the Reserve List for postdoc AHSS? I have a doubt: I got 91.5 score and progressed to the second stage. Then they confirmed I was placed in the Reserve List, with score 90.5 Does it mean that IRC did not take into consideration the previous score and assigned a new final score? Anyone here is in this situation? Many thanks to those who would like to share their situation and best of luck to everyone!

Post edited by Albox postdoc on

• Advertisement

Congratulations on a TREMENDOUS score. Keep us posted.

I wasn't given my score when I heard I progressed to round two AHSS. I got an email stating that my project was successful, and that only those with scores 89.5 and above had progressed to the second phase of assessment. Then - at the end of March - I received an email with my score and that I had been placed on the reserve list. So bizarre that you were given your score in that earlier email! I have no idea what's going on there; the process is so opaque. Best of luck to you and everyone else on the reserve list!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Albox postdoc

Thanks for your reply and congratulations to you too! I think I created a misunderstanding in my previous message. What I meant was: since they said - in the first email - that all the applications with 91.5 or above progressed to the second phase, I assumed that my application got at least 91.5. They didn't tell my scorse in then. Instead, they said - at the end of March (second email then) - that I got 90.5 and I was placed in the Reserve List. So, we are in the same boat my friend! The entire process is so stressful...the strange thing is that we got a higher score in the first phase compared with that in the second one. Maybe they do not consider the score in the first phase when evaluating in the second...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ilturco

Albox, may I kindly ask what happened to your appliation? Did you get it? If so, how did the process unfold? I have learned today that I am on the reserve list of the AHSS postdoc fellowship with 91,5 points while the thresholds cover between 88,5 and 91,5. So, your comments and explanations are of utmost importance to me.

Advertisement