Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato planting bags from Homestore

Options
  • 28-03-2022 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

We got some potato planting bags from Homestore because we don't have a lot of space to plant stuff. I think they are too deep for just potatoes and I am thinking the crop will only be a foot or so down. If I was to cut holes in the side of the bag and planted the potatoes there would the plant find its way out or do they only grow upwards? maybe I should plant hanging tomato plants in the sides instead? Any thoughts would be great, obviously I and not a professional 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheCrank

The trick with those bags is to only partially fill them and add more compost as the potatoes grow. Start with about 6 inches of compost, put seed potatoes on top and cover with another 6 inches. When the potatoes sprout and the foliage peeks up, cover it with another few inches of compost. Keep doing this throughout the growing season and you should get a great crop as potatoes will grow through the whole height of the bag.

Advertisement