Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART underground - options

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

I'm not sure what the difference is between our plans here? The canal would need drained temporarily for construction then restored above the station in my suggestion?

Line would surface at the current buffers of the Docklands station.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

There's a few limitations to consider at the Docklands site:

• There'e a significant height difference between the Royal Canal / Drumcondra lines (0 to +2m), and the Northern Line (+8m).

• Rail Access to Dublin Port needs to be maintained - it's currently connected to both the Northern and Drumcondra lines.

• The apartment blocks along the canal have a basement level (at 0m), which needs to be avoided - tracks would need to be -10m minimum.

• The tunnel tracks need to be -20m (or so) by the time they reach the river.

• Station platforms need to be built on the flat, which limits the distance available for an incline - the original DU plans envisioned 170m platforms (same as Dart).

All these points taken together massively limit what's possible at Docklands. The biggest limitation is getting the Northern Line deep enough into a tunnel, while not cutting off access to Dublin Port. If a tunnel connected with the Royal Canal line instead (and maybe Drumcondra), I think a lot more is possible at this site.

Advertisement