Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Teachers have been targeted, hounded and generally treated like **** by the media and some facets of the general public in a much more obvious way since the pandemic began. Some people are so burned out from the constant negativity that they've simply had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Who dictates how large a centre can be? I would've thought similar ratios to classrooms would apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

I don’t think the day-to-day have ever been available in a PDF. Loads of bits and pieces missing in stationery boxes and errors on centre rolls etc. but common sense approach always best to follow in schools with exams, once the integrity of exams are protected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I have 45 in my LC centre and 2 in special centres. I found it really hard going today with such a large number.

Centres seem to all be very large this year.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Teachers should not take the media too seriously. They will never love you and simply want to sell paper's

Pretty much all education editors never had a background in education.

The fact we haven't heard anything about discipline in the last ten years says it all. In the media.

In the end underfunding still is a major issue particularly for kids with autism etc but we only hear about that when somebody gets on prime time.

The only block on the bullshit express of the department and the media is the unions and in a strange way underfunding.

However most members won't strike which doesn't help.

However the department won't fund department heads in subjects or rolling inspections so that is a small grace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Layne

Do the SEC still give an initial payment to superintendents a week or so into the exams with the remainder paid later in the Summer??

Also when did superintendents get final payment in the past few years.

Haven't done it in a few years until this year so out of touch a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

No advance payments anymore. But you also don't have the pay the attendant anymore, school does that now.

I got paid about 5 weeks after finishing last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I've 19 in my LC centre. The biggest LC in our school seems to be 24. Not sure about the Juniors. Depends if a school has space to fit a certain amount of desks in one place I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Just checking last year's payment as a guideline for this year. I sent my form in on 25 June, and the SEC had a superintendent payment in my account on 22 July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Anyone know the SEC employers tax registration number?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Motor rates from last year. No change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Can LC students who are in special centres complete the Irish aural in their main centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

That's amazingly fast compared when compared to correcting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My understanding is that they can complete all or any of their exams in the main centre but they have the option of the special centre for all exams. I requested extra day to day instructions for the special centres for the aurals as there's a lot of instructions for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I sent my forms in the day after we finished and was paid 19 August.

I was also left short of money I was promised for doing an extra (very ) early morning pickup due to someone else dropping out.

My advice is, if there is anything unusual about your work, extra pickup, extra days, different centre, DO NOTHING unless you have any of their promises in writing.

This is correct, but I believe the specific issue here is that the Irish aural is, unlike MFL, all part of the one paper. (Paper 1 I believe)

So, the Irish exam begins with the aural, then the CD finishes and the written immediately begins.

Issues that arise as a result:

1. Disruption in the main centre as candidates leave.

Solution? If managed correctly, there is minimal disruption.

2. Candidates being allowed to leave the center with a live paper in their possession

Solution? Ensure their separate centre attendants are at the main centre and ready to take the exam papers into their custody until they get their candidates back to the separate centre

3. The time lost moving from the main back to the separate centre

Solution? The candidates get that extra time at the end.

Some schools may not have the required number of CD players to facilitate aural exams in separate centres. Yes they should be prepared, but SEC have been approving RACE up to as late as the night before exams and that can leave some schools in a bind.

They have to sit the whole of the exam in the same location e.g. main centre or special centre. They can't move once it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Yeah I thought as much. Just means double checking audio in another 8 rooms tomorrow.

Appreciate your advice in advance on this.

A close relative just passed away this morning. I would like to continue Superintending LC until the end - June 28.

When funeral details are finalised would need 2 hours approx off on morning of funeral. I would be able to set up the exam centre and supervise the first hour or so. Would just need someone to see out rest of exam and collect answer booklets from students and store securely until I return for afternoon exam.

My question is should I contact SEC directly and immediately or should I wait until I make contact with the school in the hope that they might be able to come up with a local arrangement. I will be in the school today dropping off LC exam papers.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

I would say see can you sort something out locally and then ring Athlone and say this is the situation, but I have a solution.

This is what I would do too.

They allowed for local arrangements as such last year when superintendents had to get vaccinated.........

Thanks for the advice Spurious and Bananaleaf. I did what you advised and it worked out really well.

Rang State Exams first thing to give them the heads up and said I was working with the school to find a local solution. State Exams seemed fine with that.

With the help of the Exam Aides in the school I located a superintendent who was free and willing to cover me for the day of the funeral.

Went back to State Exams with this solution and they had no problem with it. Tbf was nervous ringing the State Exams, thought they might go into immediate panic mode but they were very calm, supportive and patient.

Anyways, appreciate the advice.

I just got an advance. I thought the days of the advance were over

Me too. On both counts. Some good news of a Friday for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Oh weird, I wonder if there is an advance for the correcting too.

That €312 payment was out of a gross of €600 so 48% deducted before we get paid. Not exactly incentivising people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Tax has to be paid, and it's far less complicated to pay people for what amounts to 5 days supervision which is probably the minimum length of any centre, rather than not tax it and take it all off the remainder. People will have varying expenses.

I took a photo of my Superintendent's Form of Account last year to save me googling kms, etc again this year and I'm just noticing that they haven't raised the motor travel rates at all, despite fuel being so much more expensive now.

• Advertisement

yes, I posted a photo of last year's claim form a while back - it's a few posts up.

No increase for fuel. The advance has always been taxed though. Some people seem to think that's a new thing, but it's not.

Advertisement