Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Social Welfare payments/services should a (nearly) homeless person be looking at?

• 30-03-2022 3:08pm

Strange title I know, but wasn't sure how else to phrase it.

I'm 20 and currently I live in the family home. However, my family are emigrating and even if I wanted to go, the option isn't there.

I've been on DA since early to mid November already, but I don't need to tell anyone here that 208 p/w makes for a difficult time when trying to put a roof over your head. My understanding is that there are supports like rent allowance or HAP, but I'd need to have keys for somewhere before applying for those. Which brings me back to my original point about it being difficult to put a roof over your head on 208 p/w.

My family are to take a trip over to Germany for a week to get a feel for the place, and if it goes well they'll be moving "soon". I asked what soon meant and it seems to be 2-3 months.

This news was just sprung on me and I'm in way over my head here.

Would appreciate any help

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

Does your family own a property ? could you remain and rent out other rooms?

I don't know how I'm creating duplicates, but I can see them on my end.

Okay so you will need to find a house share and access HAP. Have you a contact for your DA payment who could link you in with the service?

I don't. I suppose that would mean a trip to the local Intreo centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Get a job.once you have a good job either rent a room,rent an apartment or house or even get a mortgage too buy your own house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There you are OP, all your problems solved!🙄

Well you may find the Citizens Advice center a little more accessible - they tend to have an overview of the range of services available. If your income is solely state provided then your access to schemes is probably more straight forward. If you are scheduled to have a chat with Intreo then ask them for their advice also. The first step is have a look at where you need to live - access to your support network, medical services etc then check out Daft.ie to identify what the rate of house sharing is and check your rate of HAP. It is rather daunting but the more you research the less unknowns there will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

DA wouldn’t be able to help you with your HAP application as it’s nothing to do with them. In order to be eligible for HAP you need to first be considered “in need of housing” by your local authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You need to apply to your local authority (county/city council) immediately to be considered as “in need of housing”. This is very important as the processing of this application can take some time so you need to act now.

You will certainly be approved and then they will offer you the opportunity to apply for HAP (housing assistance payment). All this while you need to be vigorously looking for suitable accommodation for yourself as you are not going to be offered any for many many years.

By suitable I mean a house share or tops a very small 1 bedroom flat/bed sit. You need to find the cheapest place you can get. The minimum your share of the rent will be is €40. It could be much more if you pick a place too expensive.

When you are living independently from your family your DA will increase by €22 per week living alone allowance, €33 in the winter for fuel allowance and €35 per month electricity allowance and a free tv licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Killio

i was actually Homeless for 4 years , at the time i lost my flat and applied to the Iveagh Hostel in Bride Street , you get your own room with a key, bed and wardrobe ,gym and canteen TV Room , its cleaned every day and very professional. They will set you up with a Social Welfare Payment and put you on a Housing list (how i got my Apartment ) hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,029 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Well done you and I can't begin to comprehend how you got through those difficult 4 years. I hope things have been on the up and all positive in your life 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There's not a lot they can do for the nearly homeless ,as above your first stop is your local county council to apply for the housing list and even if you do get on to the list your in for a serious long wait to be housed 10+ years depending on your situation and location ,

Advertisement