Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New LC

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Personally I hope to be retired in 2 years when im 58 so I won't be around when the **** hits the fan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

And I guarantee the same Union members would take the 3%.... then moan about all the extra paperwork, then moan that " the unions should be doing something about it" 🤣.

Yes my friend. Sad but true. I personally am willing to go on strike for NQTs or to prevent bullshit reforms but I dont see NQTs being interested in strikes.

To be fair to them they face exorbitant rents and even if Dual pay scales disappeared - rent would still be a massive issue. But ending dual pay scales would help.

Anyway I continue to fight the good fight.

I think there's also a little bit of fear on behalf of NQTs with regard to striking. Long ago the principal or VP would be out striking with us, but when that changed its become a bit of 'them Vs us' and some NQTs want to be seen to tow the party line with school.

Before we used be all teachers.

Now it's Principals VS AP Middle Management VS Teachers Vs NQT Teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Comer1

In our school at least, most if not all of the NQTs are not in a union, so they sit at home while we march up and down outside the school, for their cause, in the cold, and they get paid for their day off work while we don't. Doesn't make sense to me.

• Advertisement

One our senior staff had a go at them for not being in the Union, along the lines of 'ffs lads do ye not realise we are out on the street for ye' so I think that converted a good few over. The rep politely and discreetly asked if they'd like the forms too.

I think you need to be seen to be holding Union meetings in your school (even if it is just a rant fest sometimes 😁).

But yes leaving Cycle is coming down the tracks. And it'll hit us before we realise it.... and inevitably there will be people asking "why weren't we consulted on this!!".

Im getting to the point of washing my hands of NQTs. They don't seem interested in strikes so let them sweat in the heat.

To be fair even if the pay gap ended in the morning they probably still could not afford a house or place to rent.

Im voting for the shinners. They can't do much worse.

I suppose I'd be of the same opinion although an attack on one is an attack on all. Just out of spite I'll always go against anything the department try and implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It will be interesting to see next GE how accurate the current polls are. I'm not sure that all rooting for SF in the opinion polls will actually transpire when it comes to the ballot box.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

Me too!!! Its the only thing that keeps me going in the job...the thought that in the not too distant future I'll be done..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Hot off the presses ar maidin: 'Leaving Cert: Revised reform plans do not include teacher-based assessment Revised subjects - including biology, physics, chemistry and business - will include externally assessed project work or practicals'

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/education/2023/09/20/leaving-cert-norma-foley-to-accelerate-reforms-without-teacher-based-assessment/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Did you hear Norma on Newstalk this morning? She was adamant that the ultimate vision is still teacher assessment but that it is just on hold for now. Dog and bone spring to mind.

I can't see teachers voting to assess their own pupils unless we get a huge pay increase.

I can't see that happening.

Morale is low. I can't find a teacher who thinks the JC doesn't have major flaws but yet the review said we all love it?!

While I never trust my fellow teachers not to sell out - countless examples - so far there is unity on this.

It seems the issue will be dealt with post election and personally I don't think it will be high on the agenda of a SF government.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

I filled in that review and I was not positive. I do wonder about these reviews to be honest. Fascinating how they come out with that suits the department.

My analysis of the junior cycle is that it’s a heap of shite. It has actually increased student anxiety which is quite an achievement considering the push for continuous assessment. It has alienated the very good hard working students who aren’t getting the distinctions and are disengaging/disappointed as a result. It’s rewarding students who did sfa and are stunned at the grades they manage to come out with.

Anybody familiar with paid for academic research knows that those who write the cheques generally get what they pay for. What they want.

Deleted text

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

By the time this so called investigation into the impact of AI is complete Norma will be well gone.

Hopefully the next minister will be able to read the room when it comes to teachers views on assessing their own standards.

Teachers views will never be listened to, going by past 'surveys'.

It'll be 3rd level colleges and media that will decide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Comer1

From Circular S71 23:

Important information in relation to the move to the digital completion and submission of coursework for Leaving Certificate 2025 examinations in the following subjects:

• Home Economics, Scientific and Social

• Geography

• History

• Religious Education

Move to digital completion and submission of coursework booklets 2025

In the case of the more recently introduced coursework components which require candidates to submit a reporting booklet, for Leaving Certificate examinations, all booklets have been designed in digital format. Candidates complete their reporting booklet digitally and it is submitted to the SEC using the Schools Portal from where it is transferred to the online marking platform for marking with the written examination. This has the benefit of introducing a more candidate friendly format to assessment but also reduces the volume of paper and thus is more environmentally sustainable and is an element of the SEC’s digital migration strategy which has seen the migration of many services and communications to digital format in recent years.

We have four computer rooms and with the demands of Computer Science, CBAs, DCG, LCVP, TY/JC computer studies, plus the day to day demands for PC access in all subjects, we still won't have sufficient I.T. facilities to cater for this change. It's going to be a challenge for schools to accommodate these requirements..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Don't worry. I'm sure the Department of Education and the SEC have thought about this and come up with a simple solution AND that said solution will be rolled out and explained on time and in an efficent manner.

It won't be a case of them not considering the realities of schools and deciding they really should consider the real world impact after the fact, or when there are teachers and students stressed out in schools all over the country. That would never happen. I have full faith.

🫠

• Advertisement

Good point this is definitely one for the union, that was one of their main gripes about a new Leaving Cert... Pointless if no resources are made available.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ag Science, Economics and Applied Maths are already in this format, to add to the list of subjects that need to access computers for the practical coursework.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

As it is I can't get a computer room for my CBAs. Was at an Oide cluster day today and the facilitator seemed to reckon CBA 2 will be back on the menu for current 2nd years. Throw that into the mix aswell and we'll have chaos.

Advertisement