Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Another idiot this morning breaking the pedestrian lights at speed from between a bus and a car and almost broadsiding me at North Strand Church. The vast majority of cyclists understand what a red light means - are these Eddy Merckx wannabes mentally impaired?

Really like the small walls they have put in at Alfie Byrne road. Very nice work. They are going to look lovely when all the railings are cleared away. Not seeing an awful lot of progress on the Five Lamps to Connolly bit though. Perhaps it is all underground.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He is no danger to anyone other than himself. This is the bit that people fail to understand.

The car in the bus lane? Some clown alright.

Go hang your ballix off it?

Spoken like someone who has never cycled OR driven that route before. You do realise we were talking about making the journey during rush hour, yeah? It would take nearly 40 mins to drive that route after 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

It's not a bus lane

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It most definitely is the bus lane. The lane to the right of that is for all other traffic.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

This is exactly the type of situation that the new cycle lane will stop. This guy shouldn't be filtering like this, but the current cycle lane there has always been poorly designed and not respected by drivers.

What are the operating times of the "bus lane"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I just had a look at the Facebook Irish Times article, bloody hell some of the comments. This one I couldn't help responding to.

The brilliant cycle lane in Clontarf along St. Anne's doesn't stop some cyclists staying on the road unfortunately

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and what's your point? They're allowed to be there and presumably have a reason for not crossing over to the cycle lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I live there & it's extremely rare to see a cyclist on the road. I'd say about once a year and it's usually a delivery cyclist using the road for a few metres before turning left after leaving the cycle track where it's possible due to lower kerbing.

maybe he did but that doesn't answer my question! What is your issue, especially given the info John_Rambo provided?

I could post rubbish like that too.

The issue is that some cyclists simply will not use the infrastructure provided.

BTW, my name is not Karen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sometimes I would come out at Vernon Avenue and cycle along the road till I get to Pebble Beach as I can't be arsed crossing over to the bike lane and then back again. I am a monster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The relevance of that to the cycling time to Donnycarney church is what exactly? Apart from the fact that even the 30min cycle time claim is still a good deal quicker. And I have driven and cycled it probably thousands of times considering I used to live about 300m from the church.

That is too much of a blanket claim and comes with no context.

Almost all cycling infrastructure is not fit for purpose, genberally because of poor design and poor maintanance. A brand new one beside where I work is covered in parts with gravel yet the council won't clean it. This gravel is dangerous to someone on a road bike.

People may not use the infrastructure because they may be turning a short distance ahead. People may not use many shared cycle lanes because they are going to be travelling too fast to share a space with pedestrians & dogs (who frequently will be walking on the cycle lane part).

The reality is that the Sutton to Clontarf cycle path is extremely heavily used and removes loads of bikes from the road. Nonetheless, there are still needs for people to use the road. If I cycle from the city centre to my mother in Clontarf near the Yacht, I will continue to cycle on the road. Am I expected (by drivers) to move onto the cycle path for a few hundred metres?

Lastly, if someone is cycling past St. Annes on the road, what is the issue? Is it because some drivers think a cyclist should not be on the road if there is a cycle path nearby? Using that logic, should all drivers be banned from using Lucan and Chapelizod as rat runs to avoid paying the M50 toll?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i spin out towards howth probably once a week (return trip) and this would agree with my observations - it's extremely rare to see a cyclist using the road.

It popped up as an unanswered post when I checked the thread. That's why I posted in response to it.

You seemed to think that cycling X distance in Y amount of time was "monumentally slow". When it was pointed out that this time involves stopping at traffic lights etc, you were incredulous and said you could drive it in 20. You may have driven it it thousands of times, but I guarantee you you've never done it in 20 mins during rush hour without breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

For people sarcastically pointing out that information leaflets etc were distributed a) Its traffic coming from outside the locality using this REGIONAL route that will cause the biggest problems and b) On many Community facebook pages in the affected areas, there are widespread complaints that most homes didn't receive the information leaflets anyway!

I've no doubt that this route diversion will begin on Monday next, but the interesting thing is how long it will last?!

Either way, get the popcorn, this will be epic.

• Advertisement

That's true, some cyclists won't use inadequate infrastructure but you caught yourself out by using a good bit of infrastructure to spoof your point.

It's been pointed out to you by people that live on & use that road that it's very very rare for cyclists to use the road instead of the cycle path.

Sorry dude, you got caught frantically spoofing and officially Karenised yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're coming into the city centre through fairview, you're almost certainly coming from no further afield than malahide - anyone coming from further afield will probably be coming in the swords road or a road further west of that.

and google maps is currently showing that malahide to the city centre is faster via the M1 than it is via the malahide road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well you seem to forget the genesis of the comments.

You claimed that you were an above average cyclist, and that it took 30min to get from O'Connell Bridge to Donnycarney Church in an effort to show that it is not a particularly practical solution. I said that taking 30 mins to do so on a bike is actually quite slow. If it took 30 mins due to the volume of red lights, I claimed the equivalent driving time would be 20 mins anyway. i.e. there is actually little enough difference between cycling time and driving time from O'Connell Bridge to Donnycarney Church. Cycling is generally going to be quicker in rush hour traffic, but in light traffic driving won't be massively quicker.

I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This road serves only inner suburbs that are already served by the best public transport available in the state.

It’ll be popcorn worthy for a week, maybe two, and then things will settle down and a new normal will descend, like always

So true. And, most of the people that I know who are outraged by all this are either retired, don't have a daily commute, use public transport and as you say, have the best public transport in the country available to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

"Best public transport in the state" is a pretty low bar in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭trellheim

if your driving in from coolock you've got access to the "Best public transport in the state" ? was there an /s missing from that post ?

You claimed that you were an above average cyclist, and that it took 30min to get from O'Connell Bridge to Donnycarney Church in an effort to show that it is not a particularly practical solution.

Incorrect, I never said anything about it being impractical. I also said that it CAN take 30 mins when the universe conspires against you and it takes 20-25 on a good day.

I said that taking 30 mins to do so on a bike is actually quite slow.

Incorrect, you said monumentally slow.

If it took 30 mins due to the volume of red lights, I claimed the equivalent driving time would be 20 mins anyway.

Correct, you did. But this figure of 20 mins is also incorrect. It's closer to 40, ime.

i.e. there is actually little enough difference between cycling time and driving time from O'Connell Bridge to Donnycarney Church.

Incorrect. Cycling during commuter hours is way, way, WAY faster.

Cycling is generally going to be quicker in rush hour traffic, but in light traffic driving won't be massively quicker.

Correct, but I don't remember ever talking about light traffic, so it's pretty irrelevant, wouldn't you say?

I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make anymore

Unsurprising, given your form in this thread. My point is/was that asking the car traffic in Fairview to cycle instead of driving is a non-runner.

The original point made was that there are no "distant suburbs" which go through Fairview, the implications being that anyone who drove through it could just as easily cycle it. I pointed out that this is bollox, and that 95% of the people who live in the areas beyond Coolock would never dream of cycling into/out of town. Expecting otherwise is a fool's errand, I'd wager half of them wouldn't walk to their local shops, FFS. You would be laughed out of it if you suggested all those drivers should be cycling in by pretty much everybody, including those who already cycle that route. Then you came storming in, with your facts all mixed up, claiming that you could walk a shorter route in a faster time for some reason.

The point still stands. Those driving through Fairview aren't doing it because it's quicker than cycling or PT. They're doing it because it's easier and more comfortable. If you want to lessen traffic, you need to either address that issue or else punish them by making it even more of a chore to drive through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I know quite a few people who live on or just off North Strand and Annesley Bridge Road, and while I wait to hear from 3 others, two people have confirmed they didn't get any information or leaflets about it.

The area is a pretty eclectic mix of people but the sense I was getting is that most people are walking or using the bus for day-to-day needs already. ballybough road is pretty wide and not nearly as busy as north strand, but the congestion at 5 lamps will be quite, quite bad. And isn't Amiens street already closed to private vehicles southbound?

I agree that the bigger impact is for people who live in the likes of Coolock and Artane. Not sure the M50 and the Swords road combined can absorb the traffic that will still be on the roads.

Advertisement