Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This road is being closed (one way and for cars only) for a year because of the water main works, NOT because of the cycling or bus lane improvements.

If it was just the cycle lane and bus lane, it would likely be just for a couple weeks, maybe a month or so. But water main works take much longer.

I saw the same happen up at Griffith Avenue where they have only recently finished working on the water mains on part of the road for nearly a year. One lane was closed for almost a year.

Having seen the works up close it is a major job, the water main pipes are impressively large, I mean they looked large enough you could fit a car through them! Now imagine digging up the road and craning in and out massive concrete pipe sections like these, big job.

In fact the completion of a new bike lane on Griffith Avenue has been delayed for more then a year due to these water main works.

I suspect we will see closures like this all over the city over the coming years due to the need to upgrade water and sewage mains, due to the age of our water network and the serious leaks it has.

There is a whole thread about the Phoenix Park, and what a mess it now apparently is.

I'll leave you to it. If I want to go to a park, I'll just go to Tymon North. Not so much bullshit around cars and parking there.

Apologies! Was too dry for me.

it’s amusing to me that people make their minds up on things, go off on misguided rants, based on a few misleading click bait headlines. Whether relating to fairview or phoenix park.

Enjoy it. It’s a grand little park. And not as many feral deer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I notice the bus lane on North Strand inward from Fire Station has now gone 24 hour today.

I don't think there are 24 hour buses, are there? Perhaps this is to make sure they can prosecute anyone in a private car chancing a run through.

I haven't noticed what the signs at Annesley Place junction have changed to - presuming they will have to be left turn only, even though currently there is no left turn allowed there. Now that I think of it, there will be very little traffic coming down there. Will people still be able to go Poplar Row to East Wall Road?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They've added several hundred car park spaces in the north road and have reopened a few spots elsewhere that had been closed for parking. Theres not nearly as much of a reduction in parking as being made out at all and there are spaces pretty much near every area of the park.

Still doesn't stop the arseholes parking on grass areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 15 is 24 hours there.

Elsewhere across the city the C1, C2, C5, C6, N4, 39a and 41 are all 24 hour, with the new G1 and G2 routes to follow in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Does anyone have a twitter account to tag the Garda account in showing Marty using his phone while driving?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

One of the jewellers comments was about a dead customer of his, and how he couldn't get on a bike to cycle to his store. You couldn't make it up.

I firmly believe that his shop was doomed and if it wasn't a cycle lane, he'd have found something else to blame other than his own management! If a jeweller is that knowledgeable of his customers then, he doesn't have many customers!

It's an absolutely brutal retail location for travelling by car anyway. If you're coming from the northside and manage to get one of the few spaces beside Fairview Park (1 always occupied by the Computer Doctor) then you've to cross 4 lanes of traffic or walk back to the footbridge (which a driver isn't going to want to do after parking as close to the store as possible).

To get a space outside his shop you'd need to do an illegal u turn or carry on into North Strand to turn around and hope that one of the few spaces outside the shop are available.

Every single parking space along that section should be removed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For the benefit of those unaware, here is a list of the key benefits from the project as posted on Twitter by DCC...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I haven't looked at the plans for the clontarf bus and cycle route in years and just had a look there. Am I the only one or are other people also massively disappointed? It's still going to be a massive 6 lane road with teeny tiny footpaths ok the side. The whole route could have been a people focused boulevard

Hopefully in the future the centre 2 lanes can be converted to a linear garden and footpath. Or maybe that's where future luas tracks will go.

Heard the piece on Newstalk. The responses were more balanced than i expected but not a single mention of 6km of water main upgrades. It’s that aspect that’s going to take a year, not the cycle and bus lane upgrade.

It’s bizarre that it’s not referenced at all

Seems apt

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Apparently we should also expect road closures to upgrade our power network as well as the ancient water network - I'm sure the usual suspects will find a way to blame cycle lanes.

Here's a new one from Councillor Christy Burke (again he knew about this long in advance, so why is he only speaking up now) - "This detour will add to the chaos that’s already so congested people can’t let their children out of their sight for fear they will be knocked down."

Christy, how is there fear of being knocked down when traffic is so congested it will be moving less than 5kmh?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/former-dublin-lord-major-warns-clontarf-e62-million-cycle-scheme-puts-lives-at-risk-1345988.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Was through there last night. Annesley Place traffic light has been changed to bus only for right turn and left turn allowed.

No notice of any changes to Poplar Row to East Wall Road access so wouldn't worry about that, construction on intersection there would be (relatively) minimal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,989 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

"People focused Boulevard"

Lolicopters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

He has a point. Drivers are already acting more dangerously than before the works in Fairview, mainly out of town direction. Speeds have increased, as well as more cars using the bus lane and breaking red lights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Letter from Nial Ring delivered locally last night stating that the engineer in charge of the project has agreed that the situation will be reviewed 'on an on-going basis'.

I think I would rather they make a decision and stick to it rather than change it periodically. I agree with Citizen Six, there is some dreadful driving going on in Fairview as it is, not helped by cyclists and pedestrians who find themselves the traffic side of the metal barriers. On the outward side. you just need to look at what is left of the barriers outside Marino College.

He claims residents got no warning. That's not true. We knew this was going to happen at some stage, we just didn't know when, or for how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I wouldn't describe it that way either. It's starting to play catch-up now with BusConnects but still has a way to go.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I can't believe I'm about to say this but he has a point. The rat running through Marino was bad enough before this but it's going to be a lot worse. The amount of speeding that goes on around here is bananas and piling more cars through it definitely won't help. As a councilor he should have been proactive and put traffic calming measures and Z crossings in to the area before this work started.

Very simple solution to that is to put a Garda at the turn to Haverty Road and that will stop all the cars that illegally go up that route to skip out to Malahide Road. And some traffic enforcement in Fairview itself wouldn't go amiss. No reason speed cameras can't be put on the crossover bridge. The usual lack of interest to penalise motorists in this country will prevent any of this from happening of course.

There's no enforcement in the area at all. Cars fly down the one way road at Shelmartin Avenue all day every day to get down to Fairview strand and it's only luck that an accident hasn't happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,989 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

But it's not illegal to go up Haverty, its a public road. Whats a Garda supposed to do, ask nicely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I was in Phoenix park yesterday car park (lord's) was full at 11 though still disabled spots free.

So we were directed to the overflow carpark it was great super organised.

Drove through Fairview last night coming in from ballybough it was busy but managed to merge with the lights as opposed to sitting there with a green light and no where to go.

I hit there around 17:45 same level of busy that I always associate with Fairview.

I think you need to check the signage there. It's no through access during certain times to stop exactly what the OP was talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

What do the signs on the pole mean so?

No right turn at all times. Although you can turn left onto the street if coming down from Marino Park.

But what's worse is some drivers that cut around Marino Park, and then drive through the no entry on Brian Road, and up the one way street to get to Malahide Road.

Advertisement