Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There'll be even more cars going even faster across a much wider road all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

The speed will be throttled by the slower cyclists to be honest. But the volume will probably need the light to enable pedestrians to cross alright.

Not at all. I'm just making light of the usual people, frothing at the mouth, thinking about men in tight lycra. They always give a free pass to cars breaking red lights, and ignore the hundreds of deaths caused by drivers breaking the law, on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

What's your point? The pedestrian lights we're discussing are from the pedestrian path, across the cycleway, to the bus island. They do not continue across the main road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

As a country we are great at making rules. Actually enforcing them now..... that is another issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Incredibly these designs work perfectly well in London and guess what, that’s without traffic lights.

There needs to be some common sense here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The point is there's little opportunity to cross the road but a full signalled crossing of a 1.7m cycle lane

But do you know for a fact that they work well in London for visually impaired people?...

Does this community feel included in how we design our streets and infrastructure?...

Post edited by brianc89 on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s amazing how many sudden converts emerge to support people with disabilities when cycle facilities are announced. I often wonder how those people never emitted a peep about pavement parking for years and for today.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The road engineers at DCC clearly have a fetish for poles!

There is a new apartment building development completed a few months ago up on Griffith Avenue. Single new entrance, been open a few months and relatively few cars enter and exit, pretty quiet. Well this week 14 new poles has appeared around this entrance!

Not complete yet, but I assume all these poles are for traffic lights. Complete and utter madness, totally unnecessary for such a relatively quiet entrance.

Would have been perfectly fine as a non lighted zebra crossing like those that have been popping up recently.

While it is very good to see new infrastructure being built like this cycle path, there needs to be a bit more balance with the need for such hard infrastructure everywhere. Sensible mixed use works fine all over Europe.

• Advertisement

Then you have a certain disability campaigner arguing against anything on 2 wheels and arguing FOR footpath parking

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There seems to be some assumption that Europe has everything perfect. Far from it.

I've no idea how these light controlled junctions work in practice (bus islands) and I don't know anyone from the visually impaired community, but why is it so hard to contemplate that this infrastructure genuinely makes their lives easier?

Also, 14 poles sounds like major overkill 😂 Any pics?!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"There seems to be some assumption that Europe has everything perfect. Far from it."

Places like Amsterdam and Copenhagen are vastly ahead of us in terms of urban design. It isn't even close. Of course the US and Americas are FAR worse. Maybe somewhere like Japan does some things better, but it is a very different culture and on a totally different scale to mid sized European cities.

"I've no idea how these light controlled junctions work in practice (bus islands) and I don't know anyone from the visually impaired community, but why is it so hard to contemplate that this infrastructure genuinely makes their lives easier?"

Because it is simply unnecessary. If a person is crossing the cycle path, cyclists will simply stop, just like a car on an uncontrolled zebra crossing. It actually doesn't matter if the person is visually impaired or not.

But the problem is you are focusing on an area that relatively speaking is of very little danger to a person who is visually impaird, when the rest of the city is terribly designed for them and vastly more dangerous.

If you want to make the city safer for them and other pedestrians, then frankly we should be putting automatic red light cameras on every junction and issuing automatic fines and penalty points for red light jumping cars. Go up to Grace Park Road, where there is a school for visually impaired people and you can watch cars blow through red lights at the junctions there almost running down folks daily. Hell one day I watched a car mount the footpath and drive a distance along it to get around some traffic in front of this school! Complete madness.

Less cars and more people cycling and walking and more mixed use actually makes the urban environment safer and easier to use for people with disabilities.

Because it is simply unnecessary. If a person is crossing the cycle path, cyclists will simply stop, just like a car on an uncontrolled zebra crossing. It actually doesn't matter if the person is visually impaired or not.

I actually laughed when i read this, cyclists sometimes dont even stop at pedestrian crossings, I regularly have to jump out of their way. Sometimes they go around the pedestrian but its not unusual for pedestrian to have to run to avoid speeding cyclist.

Many of the new cycling lanes have kerbs that elderly people have to climb over to get to the footpath, I saw one elderly man fall backwards into traffic recently as he fell backwards, luckily he wasnt hit by a car. They cyclists speed down these cycle paths and when challenged and I do it regularly, I am told this is a cycle path and you shouldnt be on it.

Well until I can somehow fly over the cycle path to get to the footpath I have to actually be on the cycle lane.

I have full vision so I will see the cyclist bearing down on me, the blind person wont until its too late.

Id say if you asked visually impaired people which category of road user causes them most difficulty I would say they would say cyclists, hence their request that lights be put on this cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah I walk/cycle/drive that multiple times a day, there's not enough traffic coming in and out of the apartments to warrant a signal to stop traffic for cars, and pedestrians crossing the road could have been managed with zebra crossings. I've 5 year old kids and feel that's overkill for saafety.

Speaking of fetish for poles, this week they've started planting probably a hundred of these 3 ft poles every few meters along side of the road. Again, it's not solving any problem that I see. There's some poor parking at school collections, but nothing that warrants hundreds of poles.

See image here, left side of the road has the poles I'm talking about, right side had a nice low fence, now has the same poles as other side of the road https://goo.gl/maps/cbYeuEjBSSnBJadY8

that's such bullsh*t. You have to run to get out of the way of cyclists. Do you think the cyclist doesn't come off bad when they hit things or something? Or they're just going to knock you out of the way like a skittle?

A man fell over a kerb, cool story. There were kerbs all over the city before a few segregated cycle lanes were put in.

Cyclists cause visually impaired people the most difficulty... f**king lol. There's only one thing killing and maiming people on our roads and footpaths, it isn't cyclists. All footpaths in Dublin are covered in illegally parked cars. But yes cyclists are the problem.

A full grown adult male travelling at speed is going to cause me a lot of injury hence I will move out of his way. As I said luckily I am not blind but if I was I would be campaigning for lights on the Fairview cycle lane too.

The blind community felt cyclists were causing them so much difficulty they had to mobilise themselves to demand this safety measure be installed.

You have already admitted you go through red lights all the time so your behaviour is causing difficulty for other road users. How does the blind person know its you who doesnt stop at red lights coming or another cyclist who does obey the rules.

And do you really have to use coarse aggressive language in every post, can you not see its this incivility here and in your cycling behaviour that puts people off cycling.

you're a troll, i can't believe people are engaging with you still

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm now convinced that you are Damian Duggan who used to own the jewellers in Fairview that had to close because a cycle lane would be opening and your customers weren't going to be able to park illegally and run across the six lane road any more? I think you now sit there resentful of people on two wheels and make spend your time making up crap to troll internet users with.

But maybe I'm mistaken.

pretty sure you can still park right outside that jewelers and it hasn't been affected at all yet

This post isnt really worth responding to.More entitled male cyclist bullying,shut others up by all means possible.

I am not the person you referred to, its possible for more than one person to disagree with you, I know you find this impossible to believe as you live in an echo chamber inhabited only by your fellow male cyclists.

As far as I remember there was legal parking opposite Duggan jewellers in Fairview.(on the park side)

In any event that jewllers shop was there for decades so the owner had as much right to express his opinion as others cycling through twice a day.

And I dont think you should be sneering at any named individual,that jeweller provided years of excellent service to the people of Fairview and any loss of small independent retailers is a pity.

The "male" thing is so weird lol

The building just recently went sale agreed as well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That didn't stop the bullshit discussion about it though with him attributing the closure principally on the works which hadn't even started at that point.

The vast vast majority of cyclists are male and its the entitled behaviour that they display that is a major deterrent to other demographics taking up cycling.

Your language here for example, so aggressive, I suspect you cycle very aggressively too and if I was an unconfident cyclist you would put me off.

Well good riddance to him. Fairview is going to look so much better when this is all finished.

His opinions weren't really based in reality to be honest. So they don't carry the same weight. For years he spoke out against improvements in the area, as well as opposing infrastructure work on projects like the new water main. All just to serve his own selfish interests. Good thing he didnt get his way, as he's gone now anyway.

Similar thing happened with the Luas around Inchicore I believe. Business owners got up in arms about it. The route was changed as a result. Now the businesses are gone, and the locals don't have access to the Luas, close to their homes.

• Advertisement

Its a bit nasty to drag him into this discussion.

Advertisement