Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Drove past this earlier. Yes, about 20 metres is indeed finished. Just another 2680 metres to go!

Sorry to always be so cynical but the hours of my life I’ve wasted sitting in traffic due to these roadworks. Payback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Should also have mentioned, inbound section looks to be almost finished and ready to open fully as far as Connolly Station. Ground signage being painted today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

End of November is tomorrow. What did they say?

Remind us exactly what they said?

Currently looks like they want to have inbound completely open by December. Not sure light sequences will be done, but the rest probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Looks like cycle lane is open inbound between Annesley bridge and newcommen bridge

• Advertisement

Markings:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

That last photo sums up Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Easiest thing to do would be to not have a separate left turning lane, keep a continuous bus lane and have straight ahead and left turning general traffic share the other lane with appropriate light signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Is the plan just to have poured tarmac as a little ramp for motorists crossing the footpath and bike lane? It looks so awful. It's the same on all the streets along there in North Strand, and outside Westwood.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

No, the entire road is going to be resurfaced. I'll be almost level by the end.

It's still not opened inbound. Have to move back onto the road at end of Newcomen bridge. Surface still a bit bumpy in places too.

Had a word with this driver, who was really nice, and asked me where he was expected to park. So I pointed him around the corner to the newly painted loading bay. He moved, and said that he had thought that street was no entry.

I foresee this spot as bad for parking on the cyclepath. New apartment complex being built. Early stages, yet two vehicles parked up on the path. Planning permission for the development said there was no need for residents parking, as plenty of on street parking nearby. 🤣

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Had a word with this driver, who was really nice, and asked me where he was expected to park. So I pointed him around the corner to the newly painted loading bay. He moved, and said that he had thought that street was no entry.

But why was he so willing to obey that rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

Motorists Rules

1. Every space is a parking space if you’re stuck
    2. Every space is a lane if you’re stuck
    3. Don’t inconvenience other drivers if you can inconvenience someone else instead.

Parking on the cycle lane follows rules 1 and 3. Driving the wrong way on a one way road breaks rule 3. There is no rule about not inconveniencing people walking or cycling.

He was actually the nicest and most obliging delivery driver I've encountered.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't doubt it, it seemed like a perfectly pleasant interaction.

However, "I parked on a bike lane because that parking space is on a No Entry road" is a really very weird logical disconnect and it's worth asking why an otherwise reasonable person thought that made sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"Where am I supposed to park"

"Somewhere legal!"

Had to go around a delivery van parked in the contra-flow cycle lane on Lombard St. yesterday. So I had to cycle out into oncoming traffic, to save him from having to cross the road from where there were parking spaces...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Was on the 17 last week and spotted something similar. Delivery van parked in the contraflow cycle lane, completely blocking it. He was also sticking out onto the road itself. It's already a narrow section, so the bus struggled to squeeze by, yet along a cyclist tries to get past him. As we passed him, I saw your man was sitting in the van on his phone! 🤦‍♂️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The North Strand bus stops (which should never have been removed) are going to be replaced following much local opposition.

617 will go back into the new car parking spaces and 4384 will be moved to under the bridge at Nottingham Street.

Daft idea (probably from the same fools that removed them) is to only have one route stopping at them. Can't see that working out, but we will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Glad that the locals got some movement on this. Very disappointed that they tried to ram this through without any kind of consultation with people, hopefully this will set the tone for further engagement with people on the rest of the core corridors projects.

It’s on Irish Cycle, and I’d say Ray McAdam has tweeted about it too. It’s just for the 130.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That’s good news, although surely the 53 could serve them as well?

Now if we can get the inbound stop 620 on Talbot shifted back to between Talbot Place and have the outbound H Spine routes, along with the 6 & 130, stop at a new stop on Amiens Street further up from Gandon House towards Talbot Street instead of the Busaras stop, then the stops would be far better spaced out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm at a loss to see what difference it would make to let other bus routes stop there. When car traffic returns, it's not as if buses will be overtaking each other anyway.

Cue people trying to get on a 15 stopped in traffic behind a 130, or trying to get off going out. Seems an odd way of doing things.

It’s the fact that with the proposed service levels under BusConnects, they need to allow enough space for two buses stopping together at a stop, but that there is physically only enough space for one bus at a time to stop at that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Delighted with this result. If I can indulge for a moment, mainly because the level of argument and personal abuse I received on this platform, I'd like to pat myself on the back. Obviously well aware that lots of people pushed for this result.

From plastering notices on the bus stops in early 2022 to chasing councillors, TDs, DCC and the NTA (numerous times), it shows you do have a say if you feel strongly on an issue. I consistently pushed a compromise solution of retaining the stops and allowing fewer, more local, routes to serve them, which would speed up the service for people further out while maintaining a level of service for locals, particularly the elderly and mobility challenged. Glad they have finally seen sense.

Cllr Christy Burke and Cllr Janet Horner were very engaged on this matter, although they're not mentioned on the IrishCycle article. A certain (ex) Green TD was totally dismissive and unengaged on this from the start. Really disappointed in them, a vote lost for sure.

For a lot of people it will be as if the driver missed their stop every journey and all the accompanying pleasantries that can bring. Seems mental to me.

Outside rush hour, are there lots of buses in convoys?

You can frequently have 3-4 buses coming along there at once all day long.

I’m sure that people will get used to it - a bus stop flag with only the 130 listed on it will be a give away.

People do cope with different routes serving different stops elsewhere to be fair so with time they will used to it.

• Advertisement

For myself, with the mobility issues, unless I am using the 130 from town, I will probably get the bus out to Fairview and then get a 130 back.

Advertisement