Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Glad sense won out and slowed down a major bus service to avoid 100m walk for a few locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Yeah. Sod those locals for wanting a say on what happens in their area. More seriously, there may have been a good case for restructuring the stops but in that situation make the case and openly discuss it. The manner is which this was snuck in was awful and there are lessons to be learned from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

We are talking about one bus stop on a single route.

Let's not get carried away here about slowing down a major bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Just wait for the bike lane parking madness along Fairview Park when the good weather comes in and there are a lot of matches on at the same time.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

An additional 300m on top of the walk from the side streets, not 100m. We can go back to 2022 and start the discussion all over again if you like? 😂 Pretty sure no one here wants that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In my experience the Gardai and city council are very proactive with tow trucks during matches.

Not CP matches, the normal matches played in the park every weekend. Usually see cars parked everywhere along there before the works started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I’ve the complete opposite experience. Gardai asking where do I expect people to park when matches are on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ah I thought you were talking about matches in Croke Park and Tolka park. They have definitely been very proactive for those.

Id hope the city council will be equally proactive for this new cycle lane. The city council does seem to be responsive to people complaining in the media or to their local councillors. So any cyclists on this route who she widespread illegal parking like this at events like this should kick up noise, complain to the city council and their representatives and hopefully they will be out in force.

As for where people should park, at the city council car parks in the area. Or you know cycle to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

If the project drags on much more I'd like to submit a motion to rename the thread it's original(and appropriate) title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

LMAO, this is nothing, the cycle path on Griffith Avenue took 4 years to build and it is a very low quality example, with just some concrete curb, paint and planters!

By comparison ripping up and replacing all the water pipes is a much bigger job. Of course I wish it was faster, but it will get done once it is done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We just have such low expectations here unfortunately

They replaced a load of underground services along Griffith Avenue as well. They were out again at the weekend relaying the bike lane surface again.

Yeah everything from the enw apartments to the Malhide Road was ripped up to improve the sewrage system for the new apartments

That was actually a separate project. They relayed pipes on a relatively short section of Griffith Avenue mostly for the new apartments. Unlike the Clontarf scheme, the pipe laying wasn’t part of the Griffith Avenue cycle scheme, it did delay the cycle scheme by a few months, but it doesn’t explain the other 3 and a half years of the cycle scheme nor the relative low quality of the cycle scheme.

It is sad as Griffith Avenue was a perfect opportunity for DCC to show off that they could build a high quality scheme like Dun Laoghaire have done, but DCC completely dropped the ball.

BTW this really showed that the main delay of schemes like this isn’t the bike infrastructure, it is the pipe laying. The pipe laying on Griffith Avenue was a major disturbance to traffic when it was going on, yet for the most part you would barely notice any issues when they were putting in the bike lane.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, even the greenway along the canals are delayed, because they decided to do an ESB cable upgrade at the same time.

A bin store, and truck parking. Get used to it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

f**k's sake, and imagine the abuse you'll get if you cycle one the road because of blockages

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The exits from some of the smaller streets require cars to have their front bumpers creeping into the cycle lane for the drivers to be able to see bicycles coming, especially those coming at speed (or from the wrong direction). This was pointed out during construction, but appears to have been ignored. I suppose they will wait until someone is hurt.

It will be an issue alright. How do you get around that though? You can't widen the streets for a better view.

Yeah I don't see any way to resolve that, cars always had to edge forwrd to see out of roads, we had that problem when we were cycling on the side of roads too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's as if nobody bothered to check the lines of sight. Before this, it was a bit tricky too, with cars having to be partly on the footpath to be able to see, but now the cycle lane is where the footpath was. At normal bicycle speeds it should not be a huge issue, but those electric scooter things can do some belt. I know at our street there is also a pedestrian crossing which hopefully should slow down the lunatic fringe. A bit of common sense all round will hopefully let everyone proceed safely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Wishful thinking that common sense will prevail. As always it will 90% of the time but the other 10% is a significant number that will cause issues. You get the same thing walking where people barge their cars out of a driveway/entrance over the footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

If people can't exit a side street slowly, an abrupt metal speed ramp will do the trick.

The problem is not exiting slowly the problem is how far out a driver has to be to see round the walls of the houses at the end of the street. You end up in part of the cycle lane. It is not every street, just the narrower ones where the houses are flush with the end of the street.

There are already a number of steps to be driven over. I am hoping that is not how the road will be left, that there will be some attempt at levelling it.

Cycled inbound on the cycle path today for the first time today, lovely experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I was in Fairview earlier, particularly the stretch by all the shops. They seem to be going full tilt at it now with the blocks being laid and moving on to the surface and finishing off stage. The bit outside Gaffney's / Edge's corner will be a big job as there is a change the layout of the junction and a removal of the left turn outbound onto Fairview Strand at Edge's.

Is there some deadline that they are now working to? At last there is a push on.

• Advertisement

There's a push on alright, but it's still taking longer than I thought it would. I'd imagine they have some end of year deadline. They told shops along the park that they'd have that section opened for Christmas trade, but doesn't seem likely to me any more.

I'm just hoping there will be some kind of enforcement of parking on the path, as well as misuse of loading bays. Garage on Bessborough Ave. using the loading bay to park their cars in. Knock on effect of delivery vans parking on the cycle path.

Advertisement